• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hardware - GTX750 yes, GTX760 no

Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed PrE-2021 and, before I actually start working, I "clicked around" to configure the way I want

Switch to Expert mode to enter my custom settings for editing (one time operation)
-Click Edit-Project Settings-General
--the default is 1920x1080 with no way to select a different default
--OK, I've read in a tutorial that PrE will auto-adjust to my 1280x720 30fps video
-Click Edit-Preferences-General
--GTX750 is supported (per requirements page) but my GTX760 is not
--I'm going to have to find out if that is due to my old(er) 432.00 driver

--I've downloaded the latest 457.30 driver, and will make a backup before installing

--nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

--In Media I changed the location to my temp drive, E:\Adobe
--In ScratchDisks I changed each location to my temp drive, E:\Adobe
-I do not find a way to change the location of the project file to my temp drive
--seems to be in C:\Users\jtsmi_000\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\19.0
--where jtsmi_000 is MY Windows user identity, so YOUR file path will be different
--I'll verify that location when I actually create a test project

So... now to make a backup and then install the new nVidia driver and open PrE-2021 again to find out if will let me use GPU acceleration after the driver update

TOPICS
Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

As I said before if its not on the list its not supported.

You will have to wait until it has been tested and added to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated nVidia driver to latest 457.30 and GTX760 is still not supported for GPU acceleration

Now I wait to see if Adobe will contact me as a result of filling out the Beta contact form

I "could" buy the supported https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-2060-ph-rtx2060-6g/p/N82E16814126287 but I really don't want to spend $315 if there is a way for Adobe to add my card (and tell me how to change "whatever" to make the program use the card for GPU acceleration)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I think you are out of luck with GPU use.  I am.  I too have filled out the Beta form.  I don't know what the issues are, but product releases are annual, so I don't know how or if GPUs are added.   That said, GPU use is limited to "smoothing" timeline editing.   It does nothing for output rendering.  I edit 4K on i7 laptop with an SSD and never had trouble with the timeline being smooth.  

Don't waste too much time with Project Settings.  If you put a primary clip on the timeline before anything else, it will get it right.   You can then move the clip, add more clips, and it will remain right.  

The Media setting is only for cache files.   It can self clean.  I keep it on my fastest SSD.  For me that is C:\. 

To control the location of the project files, do a new project before you do anything else.  A screen shows up where you can direct the path, pick a name and even force project settings.  

Did I miss anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the prefs file in the "users" path I mentioned above, but changing the "hardware" setting from "false" to "true" didn't seem to do anything, so I copied the original file back over my edit

I'm still reading and watching tutorial videos (which are all for older versions, and some of the video links don't work at all) so I will eventually get to actually doing something... thanks for the info on creating a new project, which I will direct to my temp file drive to keep from cluttering up my C drive

Since GPU acceleration isn't used for output, and I have all SSD for working speed, I won't worry about my video card and playback... I'll just use what I have and spend my time learning the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said before if its not on the list its not supported.

You will have to wait until it has been tested and added to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>wait until it has been tested and added to the list

Yes, and that is why I filled out the "Adobe Premiere Elements Beta Tester" form to send my information on... to "maybe" have someone from the Premiere Elements team contact me to test/add my card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 - fill out the Beta tester form... done

Step 2 - contact from Adobe asking for more information... done

Step 3 - ??? Now I wait again to see if someone will contact me again with further instructions

ADDED

I was sent some information, a link to a "sharepoint" document... but it is on Microsoft, and even though I have a Microsoft account, I am evidently not in the sharepoint directory, so I can't access the document... I've replied asking for futher instructions, so now I wait again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't believe Adobe can:

1. Advertise with the key feature of GPU acceleration:
https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/features.html#see-effects

2. Don't include the feature in the trial version so no option to test:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/gpu-acceleration.html

3. Only support a hand full of cards which (by coincidence?) are all lower-end cards:
Are we supposed to sell our premium cards and buy cheaper versions?

4. Have virtually no option to contact anyone who can clarify anything:
Have spend over an hour chatting to some very slow Indian guy from support who didn't
know anything and was simply googling my questions.

.... and have so little people complain about it!

P.S. I have had several people here say: "It's ONLY for timeline editing/previewing", well
that's exactly where you need it the most isn't it?

I have a pretty powerful machine: 1080p editing is fine, simple 4K editing is fine but
4k projects with multiple layers and color correction (and/or GoPro reframe) is a nightmare. In medium quality mode it's sort of smooth but the image quality is very bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't mention your card, but one that is in the supported list is not what I would call low end

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-2060-ph-rtx2060-6g/p/N82E16814126287

When I looked yesterday is was $315 (Black Friday sale?) and it was in stock... today it is $327 and out of stock, so I guess a lot of people bought while it was on sale

Anyway, fill out the beta form at https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/gpu-acceleration.html and someone from Adobe may contact you... I did, and I was contacted, but the file the Adobe PrE person sent me resides on Microsoft sharepoint, and the link doesn't work for me... maybe you'll have a better result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You managed to pick the only (relative) pricy card from the list 😉

Other NVidia cards on the list:

1650 but not 1660, 1660Ti, 1660 Super

1050Ti & 1060 but not 1070, 1070Ti, 1080, 1080Ti

960, 970 but not 980, 980 Ti

730, 750 (Ti) but not 760, 770, 780, 780 Ti

620,630 but not 650, 660, 670, 680, 690

For me, this coincidence is too hard to swallow.

Thanks for the tip, I have filled out the beta form. Let's hope that will get me in the program. I don't mind performing test and running into bugs as long as editing will be smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not uncommon for features not supported in trial version and that is not just Elements. Other Adobe products have trial limitations too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>pick the only (relative) pricy card from the list

While thinking about replacing my GTX760 I wasn't going to consider a small upgrade, I was only going to consider the best/fastest card in the list (well, not the RTX2060 Super)

I then decided that for my home video work, and creating a DVD from my video, or files sent to me by a relative, I didn't need to spend even $315 just to have smoother playback... since the card is not used at all for exporting to a file or to burn a DVD

If you really need smoother playback, Newegg does have other RTX2060 models in stock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched about a dozen YT videos and have started a 1st test project

Using the 1280x720 30fps video from my camera, and the HDV 720P project setting, my timeline is smooth

If the PrE team member ever gets back to me with a way to download the utility to add my card to the supported list (he sent me a Microsoft sharepoint link that doesn't work for me) I will use the utility... if not, I don't plan to ever edit 4k video so I'm not going to worry about GPU acceleration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm not going to worry about GPU acceleration" 

The Premiere Elements system has a preview generator hidden from the user.  It normally works quite well.  There are a couple setting to help, but usally defaults work fine.   Even with Premiere Pro, I don't see a need for the GPU unless the projects are long and then it may help with output rendering.    Home videos shouldn't be that long.  

You probably already know this, but the project settings are automatic.  You wrote, " the HDV 720P project setting".  Even if you picked this, the first clip on your timeline will set the project for you.  Those choices at the new project dialog are for unusual situations and require you to check a box forcing the settings.  Just be sure that a primary clip is on the timeline first before you do any real work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After running the utility 3 times in a row my GTX760 is listed for GPU hardware acceleration... now to do some testing to see if I notice a big difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines