• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR (HEVC) video shot on iPhone not supported by Premiere Elements 2021

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrE 2021 still doesn't support HEVC video files at least not the version used by latest iPhones when shooting HDR video.  Adobe support spent over an hour remotely trying different things on my system and finally gave up.  They sent me an email that said, "The HEVC files from iPhone 12 are reported to have issues with Adobe Premiere Elements. We have raised the request to our engineering team and they are investigating a fix.  At the moment, we do not have a workaround, but we will share an update via email."

Interestingly enough Adobe Premiere Rush on the PC imports the same HEVC without any issues, so Adobe knows how to do it they just need to fix PrE 2021 and issue an update.  

In the meantime, there are several video format converters available such as Uniconverter or you can edit the videos on the phone with several different video editing apps.  

Note that although you can import the files in Premiere Rush, either the IOS app or the PC version, you must pay $35 per year to export in 4K plus you have to learn how to use a whole new video editing program.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.265 Dolby Vision video is not exactly mainstream yet.   Being that Apple's HDR appears to be licensed from Dolby, I'm not surprised that Premiere Elements doesn't include it considering the probability of license fees.   I hope you were using the free trial to discover that it wasn't going to work.  Or at least you bought direct from Adobe and you are hopefully still in the free return period.   From what I read, you might do well with Apple software or maybe DaVinci Resolve.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>doesn't support HEVC video files at least not the version used by latest iPhones

I downloaded some sample files from https://4ksamples.tumblr.com/ to test my new i9 build, and the HEVC file (in an MP4 wrapper) plays just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

William, the OP, wrote that he was shooting HEVC HDR.  That's different.  From a little google reading, HDR uses proprietary Dolby codecs.  If you can find some HEVC HDR clips, I'd like to try it too.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you test this one? Its from my Iphone 12 max.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7fd8a1ee80a7cfb49efad6b8f345750c20210116171652/936b87e1fd339564010b...

I dont have the hevc codec installed as I dont want to mess up my codec with Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>HDR uses proprietary Dolby codecs

I doubt that tumblr is going to have anything that requires a license fee

I don't plan to buy a 4k camera, I was only testing my new i9 build, so the 4k on tumblr is the limit of my 4k work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

Thanks.  You wrote, "Can you test this one? Its from my Iphone 12 max." 

It fails to import in Premiere Elements.  Premier Pro was fine.   I do have the Microsoft HEVC codec installed and previous tests of iPhone HEVC without the HDR, has worked.   

Capture.JPG

I have both Premiere Pro and Elements installed and I don't seem to have trouble with the $.99 Microsoft Codec.  At one point I had two from Microsoft installed and there was trouble, but not with Pro.  

I looked at Mediainfo, that's impressive footage from a phone!!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well that settles that.

Elements does not support hevc hdr: to be honest I did not expect the file to be compatible.

Thanks for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines