• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get an exported freeze frame photo to not get distorted?

Participant ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Premiere Elements 12.1 on an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.  When I use Freeze Frame and export a photo, it has a distorted look.  It seems as though the image is "squeezed" together.  It looks fine if I include it in my project, but exporting it for use in Photoshop Elements for example has a distorted look.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Rick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example of the distortion?  My experience with Freeze Frame is good.

If it a sort of "leaning" it can be a result of "rolling shutter" effect.  That's because video is shot with an "electronic shutter" and fast moving object will lean. 

Within Premiere Elements, there are a couple ways to capture stills.  Which method are you using and what is your goal with the output? 

There are lots of other ways to capture stills if the one in Premiere Elements isn't working for you.  The free and very good VLC video player has options to capture stills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This first picture is from the freeze frame export...

CC Papa car.jpg

The following photo was created by creating a short video in Elements, sending it to my iphone, positioning the video to the frame I wanted, and then doing a screen shot of that frame.  Not a real sharp image, a bit of a pain, but more true to size. 

I am uploading pictures to Picaboo website creating a photo album.  I did not have a camera picture I could use for this shot which I wanted.

IMG_6576.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the frustration.  And, I can't see why it is doing what it's doing.

There are two ways to capture a frame. 

One is Freeze Frame from the Tools menu.   On version 12 it should give you the choice of making a jpeg and inserting it in the timeline or exporting it to a folder. 

The other way is through Export and Share.  There should be an Image choice which is followed by other choices. 

Which are you using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tools - Freeze Frame - Export, but I don't have a choice of file type.  It creates a bmp file.  I don't have an Export and Share option, just Publish & Share, and that is just for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project probably has an aspect of 1.33.

Dont know if this is possible in E12, but

Go to Device / Custom / choose Advanced settings.

in the export tab choose jpeg,

make sure it is set to 1920x1080 with a Aspect square pixels (1.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann - You are correct about the 1.33 aspect.  However, as you suspected about your suggestion, I don't have Device - Custom.  I do have some various project settings but I don't see any advanced settings with an export tab to choose jpeg settings.  But thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhere in the export you have custom/advanced settings........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all I get from the Export...

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 4.36.39 PM.png

Even though there is an up and down arrow by the File Format, bmp is the only option it gives me.  I can't select anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to go through the share (or whatever it is called) settings in the Elements itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POst a screenshot of the share/export window within Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now change the basic settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not what I have in my version of 12.1.  Is that the version you have?  This is on an iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 12.1 is six years old. In software, that is ancient.  Your iMac probably has a newer OS.  This is a user to user group.  We tend to update our software every year or two.  Memory serves that you do have export options in version 12 to solve your challenge.  I just can't provide the exact screen shots because the graphical user interface has changed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already posted a screen shot of the export earlier in this chain.  All it has is the ability to give a name for the file and location.  And even though there is a File Format field, bmp is the only option.  Yes, I recognize the software is old, but until this file distortion thing came up I was doing fine with this version.  I do think I had exported pictures in the past that were OK, so you might be right that a newer OS (which was a free upgrade I did) might have caused the problem.  Thanks for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed E12 on the mac.

It exactly as in my screenshot in post 13............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 7.17.58 AM.png

I have an iMac running macOS High Sierra.  My E12 release is 12.1 (20140225.12.1.620828).  Is that the same as yours?   If so, what is my next step given my full screen shot above?  Where do I go next?  Did you already have the E12 you loaded, or did you get it from somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The box on the left is from clicking on the Advanced box.  Unless I'm missing something obvious, all I see are video options.

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 8.34.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unbelievable!  I'm such an idiot.  I didn't realize I could scroll that window.  My excuse is I always created a video so what I needed was on the top part, and when I needed a picture I went into Tools and did the Freeze Frame - Export option. 

I just did a test and the Freeze Frame option under Tools still distorts when exported, so I guess I'll only use that option to use as a still in the video, and use the Computer - Image option in the Share and Publish when I want an actual photo exported.  Thanks for sticking with me.

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an Export and Share option, just Publish & Share, and that is just for video.

I don't have 12 on my computer so can't give you a screen shot.  I'm sure there is a choice for stills in Publish and Share. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your efforts to help, however, since you don't have version 12 you are just speculating.  I have looked multiple times under Publish and Share and I do not see any photo capture options.  It is all for video.  The only option I have is under Tools - Freeze Frame - Export as I have previously indicated.  But thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines