• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I keep Chinese (Mandarin) fonts from appearing as tall rectangles with a big X in the middle?

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community Members,

I searched for this topic in previous posts but fond nothing that exactly matched my situation, so I will post to this forum.

When using either Adobe Elements or Premier Elements, I occasionally must create a very small amount of text using Chinese charactors for use in a text box or title. The lion's share of the text will still be in English, with only an occasional Chinese Charactor needed. In other words, I don't want to switch my system fonts to Chinese or even the fonts in Adobe Premier elements. I only need an occasional few charactors in Chinese.

For example, I might need to type my name "Robert" in Chinese in a text box or title field. That is written "罗伯特" in Chinese ... Adobe Premier Elements recognizes the last two charactors of "伯特" (yes, there are just two charactors there), but does not recognise the first one "罗". So that charactor is always replaced with a vertical box containing an X inside the box, making the entire name look like this:

CN_Font_Issue.jpg  (Shown in context in my project).

So again, I don't want to change the entire language setting I am using (English) but just want to type the occasional few charactors in Chinese.
It occurs to me that possibily an add-in language Chinese language pack might give me those font charactors that I need... but I can find nothing that suggests additional (suplamental) language packs are available for Adobe Premier Elements or just "plain Elements". (I'm on the 2018 versions of the programs, by the way.)

I would highly appreciate any ideas you have that might solve this issue.

Best regards.  ðŸ˜‰ 😊 😇

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

afbeelding.png

Use a different font. Not all character are present in a font.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

afbeelding.png

Use a different font. Not all character are present in a font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ann,

Your suggestion turned out to be absolutely correct. I actually had figured that out a couple of hours ago. I decided to look for other founds that had a "Chinese sounding name". There was one called Dengxian. I lived in Xi'an China for 7 years, so that one sounded promising. Low and/or behold that did the trick!

With so many fonts to choose from, it's a pity there is not guide to what each font type contains, so the only way to test them is by trial-and-error. But that "searching for a font that looked Chinese" led to the correct choice.

Thanks again. I will mark your reply "correct answer".

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines