• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I nudge a clip less than a frame length

Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to align several clips in Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 but I can only "nudge" the clips (or the CTI) in single frame increments.  IOW, if I try to nudge either the CTI or the clip, they move a full frame length, no less.

Does this have anything to do with snapping? If so, how do I turn it off?

How can I move my clips by only a franction of a frame length?

Thanks

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

A frame is the smallest unit of a video. In Premiere Elements, you can't move a clip half a frame. Although as I'm sure you've found, the more zoomed into the timeline you are, the finer adjustments you can make.

That said, if you're matching audio to video, a frame is all the closer you need to get to aligning them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A frame is the smallest unit of a video. In Premiere Elements, you can't move a clip half a frame. Although as I'm sure you've found, the more zoomed into the timeline you are, the finer adjustments you can make.

That said, if you're matching audio to video, a frame is all the closer you need to get to aligning them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that really bites.
I have to replace the audio for a music video, and sync with video frame resolution is just not good enough (musicians' finger motions look "mushy").  Video frames have their own rate, but your brain interpolates, and most people can tell when audio is 120th of a second off, let alone a 30th.  They have audio units in Premiere Pro, so you can slide audio by milliseconds.  But nothing for Premiere Elements? 

I guess I'll have to do it the hard way: extract the original audio from the movie file, edit my new audio to sync with the extracted audio in a separate app, then drop in the edited new audio in PE.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know of no consumer level video editing program that has audio units.

Cannot expect to have Pro features for the same price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prem pro does have audiom time units and has had for years. It is possible to nudge audio less than a frame. Just enable audio time units by right clicking in the timeline ruler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Prem pro does have audiom time units and has had for years. It is possible to nudge audio less than a frame. Just enable audio time units by right clicking in the timeline ruler.

By @Steve Wakeford

I did not say PrPro has no audio units: Elements has no audio units.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is incorrect and was in 2020. see below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines