• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do you make time lapses in Premiere Elements 10?

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering how to make time lapses in Premiere elements 10. I tried right clidking a photo and then clicking time warp and setting the time to 1 frame but I can't apply this to all the pictures. I also went to Edit, Preferences, General, and set still image default duration to 1 frame, but this does nothing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

I have made many Time-Lapse Videos in Premiere.

There are several factors, that probably need to be tested first. The biggest consideration is the shooting interval of the Stills, and then the "look" that one wishes to achieve.

In most, I go to Edit>Preferences (before I Import any Still Images), and change the Still Duration to something around 3 - 5 Frames. Again, this is after a few tests. Then, I Import the Still Images. I also set the Duration of the Transitions, to be quite short, depending

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made many Time-Lapse Videos in Premiere.

There are several factors, that probably need to be tested first. The biggest consideration is the shooting interval of the Stills, and then the "look" that one wishes to achieve.

In most, I go to Edit>Preferences (before I Import any Still Images), and change the Still Duration to something around 3 - 5 Frames. Again, this is after a few tests. Then, I Import the Still Images. I also set the Duration of the Transitions, to be quite short, depending on how many Frames I have chosen.

After Import, I make sure that the Still Image files are numerically sorted, select multiple files, and drag those to the Timeline. Then, I apply the default (shortened in Edit Preferences>General>Video Transitions) to each Image.

I usually start with maybe 10 Images, and experiment with the Still Image Duration, until I am comfortable with the look, for that subject.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark all pictures in the time line and then right click on one of the blue marked pictures. New windows opens and in that you change the duration to 00:00:00:03 which is in my opinion the best speed but that depends on the intervall betewwn your pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TenCService

Please review your details that you have added to this year old thread. It is clear that a 3 frames duration for your stills suits your specific purpose, but what are you using to set the duration...sounds like it might be Time Stretch?

Many threads here can be found with detailed instructions and suggestions for a Premiere Elements Time Lapse video project. And, you may want to review the details given in a recent blog post that I wrote as a quick overview of the topic.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi "ATR"

I read your blog with interest and was trying to find a way to comment/reply - this seems to be the only way...

I have just started out with TimeLapse and loving the effects you can get.  I did a small test a while ago and use Premier Pro to build the video - I was just using a 30-day trial though and that has expired and is pretty costly so when I read the blogs about PE11 being able to do this as well, I thought great.

So I've installed PE11 and got all my images ready to go.  I followed the steps in your blog but I cannot find the "Time Stretch" option anywhere....I'm really confused as I don't know where it is or why as everything else in your blog matches what I'm seeing...

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris

Thank for the inquiry.

In Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, Time Stretch

a. Click onTools Menu/Time Stretch at top of interface or Tools Tab/Time Stretch at bottom of interface.

or

b. Right click the video on the Timeline and select Time Stretch from the pop up menu

or

c. With the video selected, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R

In Premiere Elements 11 Quick workspace, there is no opportunity to use Time Stretch by any means.

Please let me know if those choices work for you.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaahhhh ok - So I need to go to Expert - I'll give that a try this evening when I get home and let you know how I get on!

All being well I'll be able to upload a link to the clip

Many Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrmatey

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to your results. While at my blog, did you notice the post on the Premiere Elements 11 Quick workspace.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe11-quick-workspace.html

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ATR,

Just to say thanks for the help...Found Time Stretch in the Expert area and managed to sort my time lapse out perfectly! I set Frames down to 1 which gave me roughly 25-26 frames/sec which was ideal for what I had - I'm still not sure I understand how to interpret the 1 though and understand how that gave met he result I needed!

Just a few issues now with image sequence numbers but that's down to the way I published the images from the RAW files - I've fixed that now and left a job running at home

Thanks for the other links too - some very useful info there and I'll be sure to check it out

Regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrmatey

Thanks for the follow up. Sounding very good.

If your workflow is pretty much set for the 1 frame duration for the stills and you have not seen the following, you might want to check out my blog post on using Numbered Stills feature for your Time Lapse video in Premiere Elements.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-and.html

My comments on the Numbered Stills feature are included in that blog post along with the how to.

Continued success.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I might play with that as well and see the difference!

Heres the Vid: http://youtu.be/gkQYCA3qn-Y

1024 images shot over a 1 hour period with a 2-3 second gap between.

I think I was stood in a windy spot though with the slight camera shake - but for my 2nd ever attempt I'm quite pleased!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrmatey

Just looked at your Time Lapse video sample. Very, very nice.

I did not pick up on any camera shake. I was too busy enjoying the flow of the Falls.

Good job.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first step was to make sure all the stills looked consistent. The way I did this was create an action in Adobe Photoshop CS6  and batch the photos. (You can achieve the same effect using presets in Lightroom .)

Open the Actions Menu next to the History Sidebar.

To create a new action, you first have to create a new Action Set by clicking the folder icon.

Then create a new Action by clicking the folded page icon next to the folder icon.

When you create a new Action, you will be prompted to name the Action and then click the Record button. From here on out, every edit you make will be recorded, even including changing the image size and saving. When you’re finished editing, your Action Set should look something like this:

The next step is to Batch your photos with the Action Set. I chose a sequence of stills ahead of time and copied them to a different folder on my hard drive. I recommend doing this before you Batch edit your photos, so that you can keep your originals while saving the edited photos over the duplicates.

To Batch edit in CS6, go to File>Automate>Batch. You will get a menu that looks like this:

As you can see, I chose the same folder as both the source and the destination, meaning I was only left with one set of files after I finished batch editing. Also note that I clicked the Override Action “Save As” Commands. This was because I had already recorded a “Save As” action in my action set. If you did not record a Save As action, you are not going to want to check this box. I saved my photos in the action set because it prevented me from having to approve every photo that was being saved. I would also highly recommend saving your photos with sequential numbering. This will make your life much easier when you’re putting them together in a video.

The last steps are the easy part. To create the time-lapse sequence, I used Photoshop Premiere Elements 11 . When you open the program, I recommend setting the amount of frames each still photo will count for.

Go to Edit>Preferences>General.

I set my Still Image Default Duration to 1 frame. If you have enough still photos, go with 1 frame. You can make the stills last longer in the video if you don’t have as many and still achieve a cool effect, but I found 1 frame to be exactly what I was looking for.

Finally, just upload your photos by choosing Add Media, then drag the photos onto one of the Video Track. If you saved the photos sequentially, they should already be in the order you want. Render the video, save it as the file type and size you want, and share away!

Check This blog For more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have replied to a topic that is 7 or 8 years old and using a version of Premiere Elements that is equally old.   Bill Hunt's work flow is probably still viable.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's also simplified in this Guided Edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines