• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to copy and paste clip without editing original clip

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy a clip (for example text) "ctrl+C", paste it elsewhere on the timeline "ctrl+V" and then edit the copy, it changes the original clip too. When I look at Project Assets, I see indeed that there is still 1 clip, and there has not been made a actual copy/duplicate. When I look at the keyboard customization settings, I see that to make a dublicate I must use "ctrl+shift+/". However, that does not do anything if I try. 

My question is: how can I make a keyboard shortcut for dublicating/copying a clip and paste it again, so that when I edit it, it does not change the original clip.

Thank you very much in advance!

Adobe delete.PNG

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Duplicate functionality is for Project assets only. To make it work. You need to click on media/text/title in the Project asset first and then use the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + /". It will Duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text and video clips work differently.   You wrote "(for example text)" so I will focus on that.

When you create a "title" you will see it in the Project Assets box when you put it on the timeline.  In the project assets box you can right click and select "Duplicate".  A second version will show up in the Project Assets box with a modified title.  Now can put that on the timeline and make changes to the "new" version without effecting the old.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response! I did not know that it works differently for text and video. Is there a way to make a keyboard shortcut for performing the action of going to the Project Assets and search for the right text and duplicate it there, when it already sits on the time line? Because the shortcut "Duplicate" by "Ctrl+shift+/" doesn't work.

Thank you very much in advance! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, this has answered my question how to cut/paste and modify text with modifying original text.

I have a new question, somewhat related.  In my project, I have approx 30 text clips in 1 track.  I'd like for all of the clips to be the same length, 7:03.  But if I make a duplicate, the duplicate defaults to 4:29.  Is there a way to make the duplicates the same length as the original, or is there a hot key to be able to set the exact clip length?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, found the answer...  Clip / Time Stretch and then set the exact duration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
   Can you please eliborate on the project details you had when you faced the above issue.

What is 30 text clips in 1 track exactly ?
And is possible could you share the track as it would help in reproducing the issue.

Regards

Fawad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Fawad,

Here's the finished product, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cmDExNAaw. The 30 text clips were all in one track and used to label the large photos center bottom. I timed it such that the photos (and the associated text) would need to be 7 sec in length. I resolved the minor problem in the steps outlined above.

Thanks, Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate functionality is for Project assets only. To make it work. You need to click on media/text/title in the Project asset first and then use the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + /". It will Duplicate.

Thanks, Gaurav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I see now. Indeed, the ctrl+shift+/ works for project assets only. Thank you!

I make pet videos and I like to visualize their thoughts in words. For example, when they eat and chew, I will make words like "yum" "munch" "mlem" pop up more than a dozen times. I would like to make such a word once with the font, color and shadow I like and then use Ctrl copy, Ctrl paste a dozen times. What would your advice be to do that the fastest way? Would creating a custom text maybe be the fastest? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really is no way shorter than a keyboard shortcut. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will just need to get used to working from the Project Assets, and less/not from the timeline itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the answer is in the keyboard shortcut screenshot that you posted, but you do not want to use "Duplicate" which is only for working with original source clips in the project assets container. Instead, you want to use the "Paste Insert" function to work with clips instances that are already in the timeline and might have been trimmed there.  So, you would select the clip in the timeline, press Ctrl+C to copy the clip instance, move the timeline's red time marker line forward to an empty space in the track and then press Ctrl+Shift+V to insert the new copy of the clip instance into the timeline. Then you can move that copy of the clip to anywhere else. 

Thanks for posting the screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines