Highlighted

How to fix shooting with a Too Fast Shutter Speed in Post?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I spend a few days shooting some video clips on my Nikon DSLR and make the rookie mistake of using the shutter speed to control exposure (I know to leave it at 1/50, but hadn't shot video for a while) and now, after shooting at faster shutter speeds, my video look jittery. Not over jittery, but enough that I notice a jitter/flicker rather than smooth motion of pans or of people talking to the camera.

I am using Premiere Elements 11. Is there any thing that can smooth out the video for me? I read about using motion blur to give the sharp jittery video a slight blurr, but my version of elements doesn't have that.

Do the later versions have motion blurr and will it work 100% to make the video look good?

Anyway, any advice on how to "fix it in post" is appreciated. If there are any third party apps or software that can help, please let me know.

Ronald

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to fix shooting with a Too Fast Shutter Speed in Post?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I spend a few days shooting some video clips on my Nikon DSLR and make the rookie mistake of using the shutter speed to control exposure (I know to leave it at 1/50, but hadn't shot video for a while) and now, after shooting at faster shutter speeds, my video look jittery. Not over jittery, but enough that I notice a jitter/flicker rather than smooth motion of pans or of people talking to the camera.

I am using Premiere Elements 11. Is there any thing that can smooth out the video for me? I read about using motion blur to give the sharp jittery video a slight blurr, but my version of elements doesn't have that.

Do the later versions have motion blurr and will it work 100% to make the video look good?

Anyway, any advice on how to "fix it in post" is appreciated. If there are any third party apps or software that can help, please let me know.

Ronald

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 20, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What shutter speed are you shooting at?

Are you shooting at 1920x1080?

One simple solution may be to convert to a more standardized frame rate using Handbrake. I've got instructions for doing that in this tutorial.

Converting video with Handbrake - YouTube

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, I was hoping you would reply 🙂

Yes, shooting at 1920x1080, however, at different shittuerspeeds according the the scene. Sometimes at 1/80, sometimes at 1/250. I may have even gone higher.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Handbrake tip. I'm not sure it is helps but I used it to compress a short sample video clip and put it on Dropbox.

Don't mind the focus, framing, etc.... this was just a short clip I had that really showed the stutter/jitter at between 20 to 28 seconds.

See it here: Dropbox - Test Video

Maybe I'm not using Handbrake to its full ability?

PS: The video on my Nikon was shot at 1920x1080 at 23.97 frames per second I beleive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I misunderstood. I was under the impression the video you shot was shot at a very fast speed, like 120 fps. But now it sounds like you're actually shooting at 24 fps.

Premiere Elements should have no problems editing 24 fps 1920x1080 without any conversion. So leave Handbrake out of the mix.

But, that said, 24 fps can look jittery. You can even see it in feature films, when the camera pans across scenery. (Most features are shot at 24 fps.) 

So I'm not sure what to recommend there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2017 0