• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I just installed Adobe Premiere Elements 15 and I am unable to use MP4 files from my Galaxy 8+ because I get the 'Add Media Failure' message "The importer reported a generic failure."

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Adobe Premiere Elements 15 and I am unable to use MP4 files from my Galaxy 8+ because I get the 'Add Media Failure' message "The importer reported a generic failure."  Looking through suggestions from others who have import problems with the same error I noted that the use of Apple Quicktime for Windows was considered as a solution but I also note that Apple has discontinued support for this program and recommends that it be removed. I understand that the variable frame rate is the cause for this problem but I don't see a good generic fix for it.  Is my Premiere Elements 15 useless for editing these files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Microsoft and Apple dropped support for XP, and Apple don't plan on future updates for QuickTime. You might worry about using the QuickTime plugin, if you think there is some possible security issue in certain websites. You could even worry about running QuickTime Player as an application, in case it might crash or something.

Premiere's use of QuickTime doesn't require either the plugin or QuickTime Player, so I would continue to use it and not worry too much.

Something you could try first is to rename the file to be .avi instead of .mp4. That may be enough to force Windows to use another H.264 decoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moved to Premiere Elements forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert the mp4 to Constant framerate with Handbrake and try again.

HandBrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know about variable datarate, but wasn't familiar with variable framerate.

Dwight, if you come back, are you able to post an example file somewhere for me to try? I could at least check for issues with the file, that might stop it from working at all, even in Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines