• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I know it's would not be supported by Adobe, but.... GPU support in Premiere Elements

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the title, I know that Adobe does not support my GPU (GTX-1660-Ti) running in Premiere Elements 2021, even though it is fully supported in the current versions of Premiere Pro,  meaning the GPU itself supports acceleration, therefore Adobe should just need to add it to the list for PE2021.... 

Wondering if anyone knows how to manually add a GPU to the supported list for Windows edition Premiere Elements 2021.  I'm not a pro, and cannot afford the monthly fee for Premiere Pro, but I do edit 1080p & 4K content that is at times approaching 40 minute run times, so even eliminating timeline rendering can be a big time saver.

I've applied to be in the beta test group for GPU acceleration, but no response.   I will also soon be upgrading to a RTX-3070 card - once they come back in stock that is.

I've already tried a couple things found through Google search, and suggestions from another forum, that supposedly worked with older versions of Premiere Pro, but they did not work for Elements 2021.  

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT buy a card that is not in this list https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/gpu-acceleration.html

The GTX750 is supported, my GTX760 is not... and there is no way for a user to add the card to the list

The highest supported nvidia is the RTX2060 or the super model of that card... NOT the RTX3070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"even though it is fully supported in the current versions of Premiere Pro,  meaning the GPU itself supports acceleration, therefore Adobe should just need to add it to the list for PE2021.... "

Don't make the assumption that Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements are related other than the naming.   Look closer at the user interface and read the credit in the Help > About screens.   It seems to me that the two programs are developed separately, with unique code, by different teams in different parts of the world for different sets of users.   

If you need speed and a smoother timeline, have you considered an SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to manually add the card as you could do with Premiere Pro in the past. But that feature also does not excist in Pro anymore.

When the card is tested by Adobe it will be added to the list and supported in Elements 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback!   

I know it was a long shot, but I also know that it's possible, it's just a matter of knowing which file(s) has the supported GPU list and editing that file to include my GPU.  Which is exactly what Adobe would do to add future supported GPU's, and to add a GPU for beta testing purposes.  Also potential registry editing as well (which I am searching now).  Of course me editing the file &/or registry would require that I be my own software tech support, something that I've done for years anyway....

I primarily shoot up to 104Mbps bit rate 4K video.  I have enough storage for my camera to shoot about 14 hours of 4K 30fps video at 104Mbps bit rate, so no need to conserve & go with 1080p or even 1440p.  Though in "auto mode" my camera does shoot at 1080p 60fps video instead of 4K 30fps if I hit the record button.

I purpose built my PC for 4K gaming (thus the RTX 3070 upgrade when available) AND video editing:   

> Corsair Air540 case (great airflow keeps hot components cooler)

> EVGA Z370 Classified K motherboard

> EVGA 850 Watt 80+ Platinum certified PSU

> i7-8700 CPU  (i9-9900K incoming this week & will be watercooled for overclocking by the time I get back into any serious editing)

> 64GB DDR4-3200 RAM (cause it was same price as slower RAM)

> Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe main drive 

> Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe scratch disk

> Intel 665p 1TB NVMe storage drive

> WD RED 2TB backup drive,

> 1TB Samsung T7 Touch external SSD backup drive.  

> Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, but only because some gaming features of the RTX GPU's are not supported in Windows 7 

So it'll be plenty fast for video editing & honestly, so far in short clips (1-3 minutes), I've yet to see the timeline rendering indicator.

ALL modern graphics cards support GPU acceleration for editing & encoding purposes, and have for at least 5 years now with almost no changes on the GPU side....  The fact that Elements 2021 has any acceleration features at all, means that, in theory, ALL modern GPU's can run those acceleration features in Elements 2021.  

Now, depending on how Elements was coded differently from Pro, it's theoretically possible that higher end GPU's are simply to fast for the Elements engine, and might cause problems during acceleration because they are to fast.... That would of course be an Elements 2021 code issue.... not an actual GPU issue.   However, with the inclusion of a 2060 Super on the supported cards list, that kind of rules out that possibility to a degree since at stock speeds, it's faster than a 1070, and almost as fast as a 1080...

This is kind of like the "Windows 7 cannot run on modern hardware" argument.... I've been running Windows 7 Pro 64bit on the rig above for the past 2 years, without any issues even though Microsoft says it is not possible...  It can be done, you just have to know how to do it.  I was of course hoping that someone had already found the way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>When the card is tested by Adobe it will be added to the list

I filled out the form at Premiere Elements Beta Tester Program and I was eventually sent an 'update' program which, when run, opened a 'dos box' with a message that flashed by so fast that I could not read the text

My GTX760 was not added to the gpu supported list so, since the 720p video I edit from my camera plays smoothly now, I'm not going to worry about gpu acceleration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if PrE makes an entry in a registry file that may be edited to add support for the RTX3070, or if support is part of an internal table that is compiled into the program... so I guess you are on your own when it comes to trying to get GPU acceleration enabled for a card that is not in the official list

I did find a link with the location of the preferences file, which may be opened with Notepad

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements.html

in C:\Users\jtsmi_000\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\19.0
--where jtsmi_000 is MY Windows user identity, so YOURS will be different

Edit that file at your risk of causing problems !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been taking those kind of software related risks since Windows XP first went to BETA!!!  

And.... 

Got a reply about Midnight from last weeks beta test inquiry, followed by a utility and instructions to add my card for testing!!!  As part of the email, I was also asked to observe encoding performance as well as effects and transitions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines