• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I move a Premier Eliments project folder to storage then I can't open it

New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More specifically I move my finished and published video folders to a storage drive on the same PC.

When I go to open it from that location the project loads but not the assets. All the assets are in the same folder.

If I move it back to the production folder it all works.

What do I need to do to fix this so the project will open completely from the storage drive?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it ask you to relink the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think I figured it out. Yes, it opens the folder but doesn't
specify what file it needs. I selected one and I think it got them all.
I'll need to test that again tomorrow. I have about 20 videos I moved to
storage.

--
Kevin Riley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back it's not fixed. It seemed to work for one video but now I can't open any of the moved video folders. The same issue, No assets. This time it didn't even work when I moved it back to the original folder.

I does ask for a file but doesn't tell me which one. If I pick one I get an error message bout file type.

At this point I've lost access to all stored PE files on the storage drive. I can't go back and edit the files again if I have to.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked in the manual and there's nothing about this!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I routinely do what I think you are trying to do.  I have two purposes.  One is to take advantage of my faster SSD C:\  drive for editing.  The other is being able to move the project elsewhere when I'm not working on it.

For each project, I create a project specific folder on the fast SSD with sub folders for media assets and output.  When I start a project I set Scratch Disk preferences to "Same as Project" and put copies of the source media in the folder.   (I prefer keep originals 'safe' elsewhere.)  Everything related to the project is now contained in the dedicated folder on my fastest drive.  

I can now move, copy, backup or whatever the entire folder to anywhere I want.  Normally I move it off the SSD C:\ drive.  It will NOT work if I open the project in the new location because all the links are broken.  But, if I return the folder, intact, back to the C:\ all links work as they should.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now it's starting to make sense.

I do the same thing. I have an SSD, not C, strictly for video editing and production. I have a 1Tb HDD for the storage of published videos. That is where the trouble starts. I keep all the video assets in the same folder as the .prel file so I create that folder first. When I start a new job I start it through Elements and pick that folder. I copy all the vids and .jpg for the job into that same folder. Any new vids or .jpg files get saved from the camera to that production folder. So it's all in one place. I find it very annoying that Adobe seemed to think to be able to move a folder for safekeeping was a bad idea.
Most of the folders I moved were missing the titlepage.jpg that was in a different location, my bad. If I tried to launch the job from storage the "find file" would come up with assets. If I clicked "Skip" the job would load. I copied the title page into those folders, no find file it just launched with assets.
Some of the jobs will not launch with assets at all no matter what I do and those did not have a title page.

I've read the using the Archive function in the File menu will accomplish what I want but I'm not at a point where I can test that.
So I think I'm starting to get a handle around this but this requires some test jobs.

Any more thoughts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"What do I need to do to fix this so the project will open completely from the storage drive?"

I've not used it for awhile, but File > Archive may do what you need.  Look it up in the instruction book: https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines