Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported mp3s have invalid length in PE15

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I open PE15, import an mp3 (2:22) and in Project Asserts it appears as 2:32 file. Close PE, open again. Import another mp3 (9:32) and in Project Asserts it appears as 8:19 file. The same on timeline. The second file just trimmed. In 3rd party players like Winamp and MPC-HC these two files are recognized and played normal.

The mp3s are telephone conversation records.

Please say, what should I do to work with these two mp3s in PE?

Here is the 1st mp3 Record011.mp3 - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Load them up in Audacity and export to wave.

Audacity®

Then re-import, see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Load them up in Audacity and export to wave.

Audacity®

Then re-import, see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two WAVs imported in PE with correct time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for workaround.

But I am interested why PE do not recognize the mp3s correctly? It is very strange behavior for such simple files, as for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are not standard MP3 audio files, kubinec.

Standard MP3s are 44,100 hz or 48,000 hz.

Your MP3s are 8,000 hz. So they will need to be converted to 48 Khz or 44.1 Khz, as Ann suggests, if you plan to use them in a video editing program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, thanks for answer.

Is it assumption of fact?

Are there any requirements for imported files, besides these Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Guidelines for adding files ? Is it written somewhere about audio sampling rate?

It is strange that PE correctly sees sampling rate but incorrectly length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the files play normal in an audio player does not mean it will play in a video editor.

Telephone conversation records are not your regular audio files for an video editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the files play normal in an audio player does not mean it will play in a video editor.

So they will need to be converted to 48 Khz or 44.1 Khz

Understood. But I am interested what's the reason for such behavior of PE (or other video editors)? And is it documented somewhere or maybe only follows from experience?

Sorry if I am too intrusive 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not or ever will be a coder of video editing software.  But I'll guess at why.  Video editors are picky.  They have to do a lot more than simple playback.  They have to convert the original source files to something viewable and at the same time create a project file that contains a catalogue of your edit.  They have to let you scrub back and forth, apply effects, etc.  With the infinate number of variable standards, video software engineers are going to stick to a mainstream.  For that, Premiere Elements is targeted at editing footage from common consumer cameras.   If an audio or video codec is not common in current consumer cameras, results with Premiere Elements can be unpredictable.  

For documentation, Adobe released an update to the Premiere Elements book a couple weeks ago.  At 290 pages, It is too long for me to read!  It may have some discussion of audio in it.   Read or download from here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not common

+

can be unpredictable

I do not think it is a good behavior for any software.

It is too long for me to read!

I have used Ctrl+F 🙂 for "sample rate" and "mp3". No restrictions found. On page 12 one can see that PE support mp3 without specifying its parameters. On page 92, article "Guidelines for adding files" one can see restrictions for video files been added, but no restrictions for audio files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kubinec12  wrote

but no restrictions for audio files.

Although the documentation may say mp3 files are OK, it's been my experience, as well as that of Ann, Steve, and Bill, that they sometimes are not.

Instead of trying to go "by the book", it would be best to just take the advice of those Premiere Elements experts and convert your mp3 files to wav files before importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done with conversion to wav.

What do you think, is it a bug? And should I write Adobe support about this so they will fix this in future versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not an assumption, kubinec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can promise you Adobe will not address it in future editions nor will they fix it.

It is not a bug. It is by design. The program is designed to work with standard video and audio formats.

An 8k MP3 is not a standard audio format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sad. Always thought design must be documented. I 'll try to contact Adobe and write here if they answer.

Steve, and is WAV 8k standard audio? It works fine with PE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. But it's nice that it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines