Highlighted

importing AVI

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi --

Just purchased and installed premiere elements. went to import several avi files and each one has issues with the sound being slow or distorted. these same files open without problem in VSDC editor, Movie Maker, Movie Editor and Camtasia. What is the issue with Premiere (or what could I be doing wrong...)?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Audio, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

importing AVI

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi --

Just purchased and installed premiere elements. went to import several avi files and each one has issues with the sound being slow or distorted. these same files open without problem in VSDC editor, Movie Maker, Movie Editor and Camtasia. What is the issue with Premiere (or what could I be doing wrong...)?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Audio, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 03, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:

MediaInfo 

If it is not a supported codec or is variable frame rate, you may need to covert with Handbrake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Converting uneditable videos into an editable format with Handbrake. If you've got any questions, please drop by our free Community Forum at Muvipix.com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 1
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, I'll get to that computer later today. To be clear: there are some codecs that other editors support (i.e. VSDC and Camtasia) that Premiere Elements does NOT support? If so, is it possible to add codecs to Premiere Elements?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the codec used.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I DID previously read the Adobe article on Premiere Elements and Cdoecs. What I am having trouble wrapping my head around is that I clearly have a valid codec installed for these AVI files or else VSDC, Camtasia and Movie Maker would not be able to open them. My limitation is that I don't understand why Adobe is not or can not use the same codec to open AVI files. AND if it is true that Elements ONLY works with some codecs, is there a comprehensive list of specific codecs that Elements will snuggle up to ...................

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please answer Bob's question about Mediainfo,

Avi is not a codec but a container.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't understand why Adobe is not or can not use the same codec...." 

It is because editing is more complex with different requirements.  Playback is easy by comparison.  From the help file:  " The technical requirements for editing video files are more stringent than the requirements for playing video files. You sometimes have to transcode (convert) problematic files."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0