• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing videos with different format codec in PE : better to convert them all or directly import ?

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello (i'm French),

i have a question about my Premiere Elements 14 (but also apply to most recent version) :

i will soon make an edit with video rushs coming from different devices (like smartphone, tablettes, cameras...) so in different pixel resolutions and with differents codecs format. My final export will be for Youtube, mainly Quicktime MOV H264. I will add many effects to my timeline (like Cartoon NewBlue to make a watercolor effect...).

I wanted to know, to optimize my computer performance and software during the edit, if it's better to convert all rushs before in all same format codec etc. to import them all in same codec in Premiere ? Or if it's better to import them directly with all different codec formats etc...

What is the best for performance during the edit knowing i will add effects on my timeline.

Thank you so much for your answer.

Best Regards and take care !

TOPICS
Import , Performance , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were me, I'd definitely use Handbrake to make all of the videos the same format, resolution, frame rate and codec. It will definitely save you a lot of heartache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Yes i was also thinking about HandBrake. But i can also use MPEGStreamClip software if needed (i think HandBrake only export to some H264 format ?) But i do not know in which codec is better to run smoothy during edit time on timeline ?

MP4 H264 or MP4 MPEG-4 or MP4 MPEG-2 etc... or any other format than MP4 ?

Which is the best for Premiere Elements ?

(knowing that 'quality' is not really a strong criteria since i will add a massive cartoon effect on videos and we won't see the initial video quality)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264 in a MP4 container is about as universal as gets now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Yes, H264 in MP4 is pretty much universal now, so i guess this is the best practice for all video rushs in PrE in the case i mentioned instead of having multiple codec from the multiple videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GD01,

I've learned the hard way to counter Steve's advice!  In this case he suggested you get the formats to match before you start a project.   Not knowing as much as Steve, I've mixed footage from two different cameras and a phone.  Some of it was 4K and some 1080p.  It worked fine!  It may have been dumb luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I know it usually works with multiple codec, for example i've made a video last month with more than 25 videos with different codecs playing together at a time on the screen (with many PIP/split screen); and it worked well on my computer.

But this time with this new edit, since i want to put some hard effects on clips, i was wondering if there was a way to "smooth the thing" to make it easier to render for my timeline during the edit, without having many clips already with some render to do when adding them in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So i think i will convert all my video rushs with Handbrake in MP4 H264 before to import them in PrE, in this way all clips should be at the same parameters as the montage preset and play without render if no effects are added. It should speed up a bit things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines