• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insufficient space for disk burning

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Premier Elements 14 for Mac, under SHARE I selected DISC/AVCHD/HD 1080 (1920X1080), AVCHD format, checked "fit contents to available s[pace," and selected  ISO image (4.7GB).

I cannot burn the image, because it says the space required is 4.78 GB, slightly greater than the capacity of a DVD. Is there a way to resolve this? Thanks. I would appreciate a reply directly to [personal info deleted by mod, forum policy, replies are posted on the forum].

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your movie shorter. (Not trying to be a smart aleck.)

AVCHD disc video is actually BluRay disc video, which is quite a bit larger than DVD video. That's why BluRay discs are 25 gigs and size while DVDs are 4.7 gigs.

AVCHD/DVD was a short-lived plan to save shorter movies in BluRay format on DVDs. Unforunately:

1) The discs could only be played on BluRay disc players -- and only a few of them; and

2) A DVD can only hold about 20 minutes of BluRay/AVCHD video. You can't squeeze much more on than that.

Those are also the reasons Adobe discontinued this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are more reasons that disc burning is going away.

3) Internet connections have improved to where distribution of home video works better than sending out discs.

4) If you're "streaming" Netflix, Amazon, etc you can "stream" home videos

5) Home video resolutions are surpassing the AVCHD/Blu-Ray standard.  Think "4K" and, soon, "8K"

6) Computers, especially laptops, no longer come with optical disc drives.

7) TVs are now "smart" and include the ability to decode and play MP4 videos directly from their USB ports, no player required.

8) Memory sticks and SD cards are getting cheap enough that they are viable for home movie distribution and are usable for post Blu-Ray resolutions.

There is nothing wrong with extending the life of older gear.  If one likes what they have they should stick with it.  But, don't update the video editing software that fits into your system.  The current version 2019 of Premiere Elements on a Mac won't burn any discs of any type.  The Windows version of 2019 will do DVDs only.  It will not do Blu-Rays or "AVCHD Discs" like older Premiere Elements versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for your comments. I created the original movie in Premier Elements 19 by mistake and - you are right - simply could not burn an AVCHD DVD that would work with my TV DVD player. (It did work, however, with my computer DVD player and 3rd party movie software, but the movie was jerky.).

I then exported the 33 minute movie created in Premier Elements 19 to an MP4 movie and imported it into Premier Elements 14, where I have previously and successfully created movies up to 46 minutes. The MP4 file size was 4.8GB

I'm beginning to suspect the problem was with importing an MP4 file that is 4.8GB in size. Premier Elements 14 simply could not compress it in AVCHD format to fit a 4.7GB DVD. So, I then cut the resolution and created a 2.6GB MP4 file. I imported that into Premier Elements 14 and was able to create an AVCHD file that barely fits a 4.7GB DVD. (This time, it bloated the file size!)

All my raw movie files are in the MTS format, which Premier Elements 14 seems to like, where 1.5 hours of content can be edited down to 46 minutes or less, and even with a movie menu and added narration and music, can be compressed enough to fit a 4.7GB DVD in AVCHD format. Sigh... there is so much to learn in making home movies and, as you pointed out, DVD's are on the verge of joining the Dodo bird in extinction. At least I hope MP4 files can be saved for viewing by my grandchildren or at least converted to what will currently be in vogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines