• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interlaced source video to what ??

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and please help.   I know this question has been discussed over and over but I can't seem to find an answer.  Many topics I have read are older and therefore don't take into account tvs/displays that we use today.

I have numerous home videos from a Panasonic SDR H200.  It created SD videos and I have pasted the media info from one of the files below.  I am combining many of these smaller clips for organization and want to save as MP4 (h.264) which will also save some space.  

My question is the original video is interlaced.   Everything that we will be watching these videos on are high definition tvs, monitors, etc. which are all progressive.  I will not be burning DVDs but saving on external hard drives.  What is my best option for output?   Keep it interlaced or make it progressive?   I've tried both ways and am struggling to see which is better so I'm wondering which should be better??  I can definitely see the "lines" in the interlaced version but the progressive version doesn't necessarily look better, just different.

And why is the size 704x480 rather than the standard 720x480?  Just trying to learn.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your mp4 need to be progressive. Only time you export to interlaced is for burning to a video disk.

The reason it does not look great on a HD tv is that the resolution of the mp4 is SD Standard Definition.

You are blowing the image up more then twice. Your tv does upcale the image.

And why is the size 704x480 rather than the standard 720x480?

dont know post screenshot of your export settings. Might be widescreen image in a 4;3 frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann.   I did forget to post the info from mediainfo.  I did figure the display would not look good on tv because it was blown up so much but I really can't say the interlaced or progressive version looks better over the other.

Thanks for helping me...I am well versed with photos but I'm trying to learn all this video stuff now. 

How can a widescreen image be displayed in a 4:3 frame?   Are parts of the image just cropped off?  In which case it would be better to export as 4:3 to get the whole picture??  I'm guessing this might have something to do with the pixel aspect ratio but please clarify for me.  I see aspect ratios as 4:3, 16:9 and as various decimal numbers 1.783, etc.   and I know there are image ratios, pixel ratios and display ratios but don't know much beyond that at this point.

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Public\Videos\2010 10 28\2010-10-19 connor dancing misc.MOD
Format                                   : MPEG-PS
File size                                : 100 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 min 30 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 9 271 kb/s
FileExtension_Invalid                    : mpeg mpg m2p vob pss evo

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings                          : CustomMatrix / BVOP
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Duration                                 : 1 min 30 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 8 830 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 543 kb/s
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.738
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.872
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed                         : Open
GOP, Open/Closed of first frame          : Closed
Stream size                              : 95.4 MiB (95%)
Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.601
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video has some pretty unusual specs, rv. Some specs that can be potentially challenging.

That 704x480 pixel resolution was a real bear to work with. And it's not likely there's much you can do to make it look good on an HDTV.

I'm not sure what Ann will recommend, but I'd recommend you run the video through Handbrake to convert it to a more easily editable format. I can't promise this will fix the MOD/MPEG's file's unusual aspect ratio, but it's worth a try.

In Handbrake, set the Output settings to MP4. Under the Picture tab, set the Width to 720. Set Anarmophic to Custom and then type 480 in as the Width. (You may also need to set the PAR width to 1.02.)

Under the Video tab, set Video Codec to H,264 (H.264) and set Framerate to 30 fps and Constant Framerate.

These MOD files had numerous issues, but this should at least make the video file editable in Premiere Elements (assuming you have one of the most recent versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes MOD files can cause a lot of issues.

Convert with Handbrake as Steve suggested before bringing it into Elements.

How can a widescreen image be displayed in a 4:3 frame

You have black bars top and bottom and displayed on a widescreen also black bars on the side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.   Seems every time I post a question it is something weird .

I tried to run through handbrake but it won't let me increase the width, only decrease to 640.   Only options for anamorphic are None, Automatic, and Loose...no Custom option....and the modulus is 2 which I did not touch.  I tried changing the width to 720 with all options of anamorphic and it always reverts back to 704 and the output is always 640.  And, I see the PAR source is 10/11 and output shows 1x1 but I am not able to change it although the output PAR does vary between 10/11 and 1x1 depending on which anamorphic option is chosen.

I did produce a H.264 MP4 file from PowerDirector16 and the output was 720x480 but it just doesn't look very good whether output as interlaced or progressive.  I was wanting to try PE or even Premiere Pro, which I do have, to see if the results were better although honestly I can't say that the original straight from the camera is much better than the produced versions I've tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro cannot handle mod files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann.  Same project but another similar resolution question....

I have some files created from 8mm film that are 960x720.   Again, this looks like it is another size that is not standard.   Would I be better off outputting as 1280x720 to keep all of the lines of data or would that make it worse since it would be interpolating the 960 width to 1280 (I think that is what happens, creating data where it doesn't exist)?

If I go from 960x720 to 720x480 or 640x480 then do I lose data because it just cuts off the extra or does it use all of the data and reorganize it into fewer pixels/lines?  And would this be worse or better than going bigger (1280x720)?

Sorry for all of the questions but it seems when I figure one thing out it just raises more questions.

Thanks for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can drop the 920x720 files in a 1280x720 timeline, dont scale and accept the black borders as the are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines