• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to capture content from Mini DV tape camcorder to Premiere Elements?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old Panasonic NV-GS180 Mini DV camcorder with a lot of content on Mini DV tape that I want to get onto my computer hard drive and start editing. The first problem is getting the camcorder to connect to the PC (using Windows 10).  Apparently there is no driver for this camcorder.  The only outlet sockets are Firewire/DV, 3.5mm jack socket for RCA output and mini USB.  Before I purchase the Premiere Elements software does anyone know if it will accept a live input stream from the camcorder via the mini USB or Firewire?  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import , Tips and tricks , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements does not capture from tape-based camcorders.

You can, however, capture with certain free software and edit the video in Premiere Elements. But which software (and hardware) you use depends on whether or not your computer is equipped with a FireWire port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need firewire and WinDV 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you don't have a FireWire port. (Many of today's computers won't even accept a FireWire card.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a relatively new Dell laptop which does not have a Firewire port, and I don't believe it will accept a Firewire card either, so any suggestions for decent hardware/software to use to capture the video in the first place before editing would be gratefully received.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to this properly find an old pc with a card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short of a FireWire capture, your best bet is the Diamond VC500, available from Amazon for about $40. It connects your cam to your computer via USB and, if you use the included software to capture your video, the video will be editable in Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dont be surprised is its OOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines