• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Premiere Elements 2020 a memory hog for any of you?

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using premiere elements since the 2012 version. I just upgraded from 2019 to 2020. The difference is that I am editing HEVC files, which is working well in general. I have been monitoring my task manager and noticed my memory is near maxed out and before I would rarely hit 50%. 

I am running a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.7 GHz and 16 GB of RAM. I was almost about to buy 32 GB of RAM to solve but am trouble shooting now and reinstalling.

I heard from some people that it is best to keep your project files on a separate hard disk than your operating system. My operating system and programs are on a 500 GB SSD and I usually move my project files from my 2 TB drive too the SSD.

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that processor, I don't think you'll see a huge boost in performance by doubling your RAM or splitting your project files from your program files. It can't hurt -- but you've got lots of power.

Just render your timeline whenever you see a yellow orange "render" line along the top and, whenever possible, ensure that your project settings match your video specs and you'll get the best performance you can from Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance.pngThank you for the response, my edits live by me constantly rendering :). 

My project exports are taking an incredibly long time. I used Premiere Elements 2019 and edited at the same settings in 4K (lacking HEVC videos though) and 4 minute videos would be done in five minutes. It now takes two hours and as you can see above my CPU is barely utilized. Let me know if there are any thougths. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My operating system and programs are on a 500 GB SSD and I usually move my project files from my 2 TB drive too the SSD."

Before we had SSDs the video processing bottleneck seemed to be disc read and write speeds.  The buss connecting drives was fast and could support multiple discs reading and writing simultainously.  With SSDs, it seems to have shifted.  If you have the editing program, source media and output on the same SSD, along with a good dose of RAM, video processing goes on at "electronic" speeds rather than "mechanical" speeds.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The difference is that I am editing HEVC"

The significant advantage of HEVC is file size, not picture quality.  To get video stuffed into a smaller box without losing quality a lot of processing is required.  Decoding is the same.  It may be that your output times have slowed because of your change to HEVC, not because you've moved from version 2019 to 2020.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question having just upgraded my PC and loaded Premiere Elements 2020. System is Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50 Ghz (4 cores), C drive 250GB SSD, D drive 2TB SSD.  I have put the Adobe programs on the C drive (in the recommended place AppData Roaming etc.) which still has about 140GB free space; and store all my data, including many videos, in separate folders for each project on the D drive, which has about 740GB free space.  I am editing some pretty big projects (e.g. Nepal holiday with about 413 avi source files, unedited running time 2 and a half hours).  The media cache database is in AppData and set at 5GB - half way; and all the scratch disks are set to 'same as project'. I render the timeline frequently, but that takes at least 15-20 minutes. I have also disabled as many background services as would appear safe to do so. I still find editing is a fragile process and need to re-boot occasionally for the project to recover after hanging.  Am I doing anything wrong, is my PC not up to the job, or should I try other settings such as copying my data and all the working files temprarily to the C drive for each project? Advice would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be best to start your own thread with this question rather than tagging onto the previous, chris. That way we'll be able to troubleshoot your particular situation rather than treating it like it's related to fugachee's.

Your issues, for instance, is likely related to the codec used in your AVIs and how they jibe with your project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Steve - done that as 'Getting best performance from PE2020 with my new system', tags 'performance' and 'freeze or hang'.  You can see I'm a newbie to forums but I've been using PE for many years and really want my latest sytem to be the best - I've got lots of time during Coronavirus lock-down to catch up on editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines