• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create and edit a video in portrait mode / 9:16 in Premiere Elements 12 or 13. Playback on an iPhone in portrait position.

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing iPhone app video for posting as the first screen in the Apple app store. Required size for the video is 750:1334, 9:16. I there a way to setup the initial video in portrait mode? Many posts for how to rotate a specific clip, but I need the whole video in portrait position. How to accomplish this? I'm using Windows 7 and Premiere Elements 12 and now 13.

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

LaurieFrick

There is no project preset for video in portrait orientation.

But, you can rotate the whole Timeline video

a. at the Timeline level, right click the video, from the pop up select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

b. at the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded level, select the Timeline clip and use the Rotation option there.

I am not understanding

Many posts for how to rotate a specific clip, but I need the whole video in portrait position

Do you really mean

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaurieFrick

There is no project preset for video in portrait orientation.

But, you can rotate the whole Timeline video

a. at the Timeline level, right click the video, from the pop up select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

b. at the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded level, select the Timeline clip and use the Rotation option there.

I am not understanding

Many posts for how to rotate a specific clip, but I need the whole video in portrait position

Do you really mean you are looking to rotate clips more than 1 at a time? If that is what you mean, then

"a" will work...select all the clips, right click anywhere in the selection, from the pop up select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

"b" would not be applicable.

Please let us know if we have targeted your question.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Isn't the playback on iPhone dependent on the way you hold the iPhone? Applies to recording with iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou, a workaround. Yes, this is for video to use for the app description in the Apple store. If you notice all the new apps have a portrait video in the first 'slot', they have shifted from using landscape mode, twisting your phone, and then twisting it back to see the rest of the app stills. The goal is for the video to fill the full iPhone screen while holding it in portrait position.

It's time that Premiere Elements adds a 9:16 preset for portrait video, there is a real use case for why you want to playback in portrait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaurieFrick

Thanks for the reply.

Your information

If you notice all the new apps have a portrait video in the first 'slot', they have shifted from using landscape mode, twisting your phone, and then twisting it back to see the rest of the app stills.

was very interesting. My only exposure to Apple is via my iPod Touch 4th generation which has the portrait orientation and, with a twist, landscape.

We are not Adobe here. Rather user to user. I do not know if you want to explore the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form to comment to Adobe on this video orientation matter. If you do, please check out

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Recently I helped a Premiere Elements user to create a project preset for a 21:9 project preset.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Project Preset with 21:9 Display Aspect Ratio

When I get a chance, I will try to apply those principles to a 9:16 project preset and determine the

consequences.

Best wishes

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR, thankyou....yes, I've looked you up as another user. I just figured Adobe might monitor the boards, alas. Yes, I will post a request. I was venting. Sorry.

What I'm describing is in the Apple app store, viewed from any iPhone...the new 'featured' apps, like Camera+ for example, use the first slot in their description for a portrait video. Videos in relatively new, and it's only been very recent that all the apps are using portrait mode. It's like being the cool kid, and getting the accessories right for your outfit.

I literally just shot the video in portrait, and am about to try to edit it. It's the last thing I need before submitting FRICKbits into the apple store :-). Thanks again, you've helped a ton. I'll go look at the 21:9 link.

warmly, laurie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm, this doesn't work. Now I have a portrait shot video sitting in landscape edit mode. Is there a way to flip the final video back to portrait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaurieFrick

Not sure what you say does not work. Have you tried to create the special project preset for 9:16?

I just gave my idea a try, and it does work, put to a point.

1. I can create the special project preset for 9:16 for Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

2. With it in its hard drive save location, I can open Premiere Elements 12/12.1, set the project preset manually for this

special project preset (File Menu/New/Project).

3. Then I can bring an AVCHD.mp4 1080 x 1920 video into the project, and voila the space in the Edit area is portrait oriented.

And, I can export that unrendered Timeline to a video file 1080 x 1920 which plays back in QuickTime in the portrait orientation.

4. I can even apply effects to the unrendered Timeline content before export and have the effects represented in the finished product.

5. But, here is the hang up. If I render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview at the Edit level, the video in the Edit area monitor

squeezes in resulting in black borders to the left and right of the video image on screen.

Right now, if you can deal with no Timeline rendering for preview purposes, this may be a solution for you?

I am not sure there is much more I can do with the Notepad document for the project preset to get the 9:16 with the glitch mentioned. More later.

If you are interested in getting to where I am at now, please let me know what you have tried and where it went off course.

The Premiere Elements Rotation should be the choice for flipping the Timeline video orientation.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying this now....stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding how to do a manual preset - I clicked the 'force select project setting' but get black bars on the side of the portrait video. And I looked thru the settings and don't see a 1080:1920, I only see landscape ratios. I must be missing something dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laurie Frick

When creating the new project preset, be sure to name the project preset with a distinct name.

Open the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project to the Expert workspace, then File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings area, select your newly created project preset. According to the way I set that up, it should be in the

NTSC/DSLR section.

Then just before you leave that area, you should see the new project dialog with the name of your new project preset. In that

new project dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project. Then OK out of

that area. Back in the Expert workspace/ Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your 1080 x 1920 video

to the Timeline. The Edit area monitor should switch from the 1920 x 1080 to 1080 x 1920 space.

Please give that another look. If it is not happening, I will prepare the steps with screenshots to try to determine where we are

differing along the way.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ATR,

You are incredible, thankyou. Are you using a MAC? I'm on Windows 7 (as mentioned earlier). Here are 3 screen shots, no 9:16 option NTSC/DSLR, and it doesn't force the settings when I load the portrait video. See black bars. Feels like we're looking at 2 different interfaces.

Back later, running out to dinner now. --lauriePE12_settings1.jpgPE12_savefile.jpgPE12_blackbars.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaurieFrick

Thanks for giving this portrait Edit area monitor shape a look.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit and have done the work using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Here is a step by step

Find the DSLR 1080p30@29.97.sqpreset file

Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Settings\SequencePresets\NTSC\DSLR\1080p\

And, in that 1080p Folder is the DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97.sqpreset file that you seek.

1. Copy the

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.9.sqpreset fileI

and paste it to the computer desktop in a newly created folder named 1920p.

2. Open the 1920p Folder and edit the ..sqpreset file in Notepad.

To do that right click the .sqpreset, and, from the pop up, select Open With and then Notepad.

3. In the Notepad document, you are going to edit in only 2 places for now, switching 1920 and 1080 to 1080 and 1920 at the top and bottom

sections of the Notepad document.

Top.JPG

Bottom.JPG

Then go specifically File Menu/Save of the Notepad document and hit Save.

4. At this point, you have the edited.sqpreset file in the 1920p Folder on the computer desktop.

(Change the name of the edited .sqpreset file so that it = DSLR 1920p30@29.97)

Move the 1920p Folder from there to add it to the 1080p Folder, the location where you found the original .sqpreset file that you edited.

Close out of there.

5. Back in the Premiere Elements 12/12.1, manually set the project preset to the new project preset

ProjectPreset.JPG

6. When you import your 1080 x 1920 9:16 video file into the project and drag it into the Timeline, you should see

Portrait Monitor.JPG

Note that there is no orange line over that Timeline content, indicating that you are seeing

the best possible preview of the image.

7. As I wrote before,

But, here is the hang up. If I render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview at the Edit level, the video in the Edit area monitor

squeezes in resulting in black borders to the left and right of the video image on screen.

But, otherwise I found I had no problems editing or exporting, just had to keep away from Timeline rendering for previewing after an edit. Need to find the missing ingredient for 100%.

I will be writing this up in my blog in a more organized fashion including how I got the project preset description in Change Settings to agree with the changes. Probably I will do that in the morning.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR - thankyou!!! That worked, definitely write this up. There are many folks in the forums trying to edit portrait video.

For people reading your post, what I didn't didn't grasp is that you can simply find the program file for the preset, swap the ratios...keep all the other encoding intact, 'save it' and then use the preset in the project select 'settings'. Not as tidy as you... I just selected the preset, swapped the 1080,1920 at the top/bottom, saved it, renamed it 1920 and then selected it, as I opened a new project (yes, that preset is permanently changed). Didn't bother with copy of the new folder, etc.

For me, I normally don't render as I edit, so as long as the format stays intact for export. I'm fine.

Can't thank you enough. If you document this, many, many people will be grateful. The presumption is that all portrait video is a mistake and the goal is to fit it back into landscape, and the reality is with playback of video on iPhones and Androids, many WANT to produce profile format videos for viewing in portrait mode.

Voila! thanks again!!

PE12_1080p.jpgPE12_working.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaurieFrick

Just starting my day, and what a wonderful way to do that finding "That worked,...." for my adventures into editing portrait oriented video with Premiere Elements 12 (assumed applicable to other versions as well).

I will get to documenting this approach officially in my blog, and then post a link to it here. Not sure if I will be able to work through the Edit area previewing matter, but I will still try. But, at least, if you do not want/need rendering of the Timeline content for previewing purposes,  the approach is doable for editing as well as the import/export of 9:16 video.

Best wishes

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou again, I posted a little note about you on facebook...about your generosity on the forum. Really appreciated. When you get an iphone, check out FRICKbits on the app store, it's free. Turn your data into art on your phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaurieFrick

Many thanks for your encouragement with this adventure into portrait oriented video editing in Premiere Elements.

I think that I won most of the battles, but not sure I have won the war.

As I have written in the blog post that I have just published

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 12: Portrait Oriented Video Source

This feasibility study answered some major questions.

Yes for "Can a project preset be created at the user level which would work to create the portrait oriented space in the Edit area monitor from which to edit the portrait oriented video import without black borders?"

Yes for "Could the edited Timeline portrait oriented content be exported to a portrait oriented video file saved to the computer hard drive?"

And, the QuickTime Player appears to be a good choice for play back of the 9:16 export from the 9:16 project preset. But, much needs to be done regarding a device's sync to 9:16 movies that were imported into the iTunes Library.

Problems related to rendering the Timeline 9:16 content in the Edit area remain unresolved, but, in these studies, this did not have any impact on the 9:16 end product from the 9:16 project. If you render the 9:16 Timeline content in Edit area, the results are meaningless, and, if you do not render the 9:16 Timeline content in Edit area, it makes no difference to the 9:16 end product.

I cannot get my 9:16 video into my iPod Touch 4th Generation. I have tried to do that using a sync of the device to iTunes which has the 9:16 video imported into its library. I do not have an iPhone or iPad. If you have these devices, please let me know if your 9:16 video imports into these devices are successful.

Many thanks for bringing up a very interesting question.

Best wishes.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very very much A.T. Romano
I have the same problem as LaurieFrick.
You fix my problem after searching so many forum post on internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prasalnice

Thanks for reporting the great news that the suggestion worked for you also.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.

Still working with the 2021 edition.

So easy to do! It's a proof that Adobe doesn't want to allow it maybe to sell the Pro version.

I my opinion dealing with a portrait video is NOT luxury and should be a basic feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but, in Premiere Elements 15, this doesn't seem to change the Project orientation. and even though the clip gets rotated, Premiere doesn't allow "Shake Reduction" because the clip doesn't match the project dimensions (I was hoping to shake reduce the clip and then rotate it back). Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a project with the correct dimensions, apply the shake reduction, and export it.  Start a new project of the desired dimensions and import the video you exported .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

step 1 "Create a project with the correct dimensions" doesn't work. There seems to be no way to create a project that is in portrait mode (720 wide, 1280 tall). Premiere Elements 15. On macbook.

The file info Premiere sees for the video I want to edit. It knows the file is 720 wide...

But when I make it the first clip I add to the project, the project is landscape...

I have tried a few different presets, but they are also landscape dimensions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! With Premiere Elements 2020 this still works and I'm so grateful!! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for this very helpful post....ATR.... Really helpful...

Now I can create portrait videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines