• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge multiple clips together (rather than group).

Participant ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I know I can group multiple clips next to each other, but rather than group, how can I merge the clips to then become one clip?

Thanks...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You put them on the timeline and Export to a new file.  There are ways to "concatinate" files in the command line of Windows.  But that is beyond the scope of this forum.  There is also at least one video editing program that will "smart render" clips together without any trancoding or rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no merge clip facility within the user interface 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"no merge clip facility"  The whole point of making videos in any software is to combine the shots or "clips" taken and combine them through "editing" to a final and playable video.   So, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.  "Merging" clips??

You've asked a serious of unusual questions.  Taken together it is not at all clear what you are trying to do.  Could you explain the work and results you are doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much all DAW software allows you to permantly merge clips (although you can undo) or group them. The use cases  are absolutely no different whether it's audio or video and audio.

It makes easier to handle clips in some scenarios, allows effects and automation to be applied easier over multiple clips. Other workow advantages as well. Yes I know there may be other ways to do it, but the methods I've seen are not as quick.

Ultimately we either can or cannot do this with the UI. If we can't I'll create a feature request with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"permantly merge clips"  It appears to me that our definitions of merge are different.   

Curiosity is peaking!  What video software have you used that does all the things you want and does them the way you want it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll refer you to my last post.

Please can we stick to topic. You can start a new thread if you like, I'm not here to justify a use case or give examples, I'm trying to find out if it's possible or not, if not I'll contact Adobe. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Please can we stick to topic." and "So no merge clip facility within the user interface"

That is correct.  There is no "merge clip" function in Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can I merge the clips to then become one clip?

Export to a intermediate format and reimport.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ann.

Valid answer and good for one off things but I'm looking at multiple clips in the UI. Usually the workflow is identical to grouping in the UI, however it bounces down the media to one clip rather than group.

It's clear that PE does not offer this. I'll send a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines