• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MiniDV tape to 720x480 in Elements?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can can create a .mov file of my MiniDV tapes in PP (DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, Linear PCM, Timecode. SD 6-1-6).  Can I do so, somehow in PE 2018.  I can't afford PP in CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob.  So, MiniDV should be no problem in PE, just as it is no problem in PP CC -- correct?  The other challenge I have is that in PP CC there is a simple Generic selection for DV camera one is using, as well as listed cameras which are supported.  Does PE have the Generic DV cam connection for operation if for some reason PE does not support my cameras (Panasonic PV-GS400 and Canon ZR25)?  Many thanks for any guidance you may offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify:

If you have already captured the tapes, you can use them in Premiere Elements 2018.

If you haven't captured them, you can use these programs for capture:

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit   HDVSplit 0.77 beta

and then import the file into Premiere Elements 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not captured as yet.  I assume these programs will give me the best quality I can get - like the old AVI?  I would prefer to just hook  up to PE only.  Is that not possible (Panasonic PV-GS400 and Canon ZR25)?  I'm using a 2017 iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements discontinued its ability to capture tape-based video several versions ago.

You may still be able to find a version 11 or 12 online, if that's a dealbreaker for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - do you happen to know for sure what the last version was that would still capture mind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a stand-alone version of PP that would work on a 2017 iMac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

Thanks - do you happen to know for sure what the last version was that would still capture mind?

Premiere Elements 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why not capture with a separate program as suggested above:

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit   HDVSplit 0.77 beta

and then import the file into Premiere Elements 2018.

FWIW my first Camcorder was a Sony PC 100E that used MiniDV tapes.

Back then I captured the videos via a Firewire interface and Pinnacle 10(?).

Many years later I finally got around to processing some of the AVI files with Premier Elements 14 & it worked fine.

(My current PC doesn't have a Firewire interface).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 2017 iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can capture with iMovie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have to go tat route, but iMovie doesn't give me 720x480.  It captures at 640x480

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're essentially the same resolution. 720x480 video is made up of pixels that are only about 90% as wide as they are tall. (The reason goes back to early TV standards.) So a 720x480 anamorphic pixel video is exactly the same size as a 640x480 square pixels video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

640x480 in a 720x480 frame will look pillar boxed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you won't be adding it to a 720x480 frame. If you use a 640x480 video as the first video in a Premiere Elements project, the program will set up your project at 640x480 and the video will fit perfectly into the frame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to play that on a tv still stuck with pillars especially if it was filmed in widescreen.

Mini dv tapes should be captured as 720x480.

BD players can upscale the SD footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respectfully disagree, Ann. The video will be 4:3 either way. If you output either as a DVD, it will look exactly the same on a TV.

In fact, both will have exactly the same black bars on a 16:9 HDTV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann and Steve:

Allow me, the OP, to chime in here.  My only goal is to preserve my SD MiniDV tapes at the highest quality possible .  I thought AVI was meant for purpose that many years ago.  At any rate, I fear jumping into about 80 hrs worth of work at 640x480 vs. 720x480 to later find learn I didn't achirve at the highest quality possible.  I don't want to have to do this again.  Thoughts?

BTW, I am deeply grateful for your input.  As an aside, I think it really poor for Adobe to not support the DIGITAL capture of my tapes in the latest versions of PE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I don't trust the quality of ProRes at 640x480.  Am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avi is a windows format, if you are on a mac it will capture in mov.

I would still go for 720x480.

Does your machine have firewire?

On a side note you can rent Pr.Pro for a month just to get the tapes captured.

Or the trial for 7 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think you need to overthink this, Keith. Just try a capture with iMovie and see how it looks when you edit it in Premiere Elements.

If that doesn't work, there are alternatives. LifeFlix is available for purchase in the App Store, for instance.

Either way, you'll get as good a capture as standard definition video can provide.

Try it and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines