• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving an edited clip back to project assets

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, my situation is that I have a contiguous clip, 28 minutes long which was edited in another operating system (Linux) in another software (kdenlive). It amounts to a bunch of chopped-up clips, "glued" together into one file, and read into Premiere Elements 11 in Windows. I wanted to chop them up again in the timeline, and place the pieces somewhere where I can pick and choose what I want to place back into the finished video, most likely in a completely different sequence.

I read in an earlier post that I can't do this by moving the chopped pieces from the timeline back into Project Assets.

So, how do I create this "clip repository"? I am sure I am not the first person with this question, but I can't find anything similar in the forum.

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I show you in my books, you'll need to set the Project Assets panel to List View in order for this to work.

Then you just set in and out points in the Clip Monitor (opened by double-clicking on your original clip) and drag the segments from the Clip Monitor back to Project Assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am using PE 11, and drag-and-drop doesn't seem to work. As you say, the project assets are in list view, and the clip monitor is active, and the sequence I want is selected. To be sure, here is a screenshot of my situation:

Thanks again

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see several still images in your Project Assets. These aren't the files you're trying to trim, are they?

As I've said, if you open the Roller Coaster.avi in the Clip Monitor and set in and out points (represented by the blue area on the Clip Monitor's timeline), you can drag these segments back to Project Assets by dragging on the Clip Monitor's preview.

Is this what you are doing? Which file are you trying to trim and what steps are you taking to trim it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, in fact there are no still images on the timeline, only the AVI file. The AVI is what is loaded on to the clip monitor. I loaded a cut from the AVI file, and drag/drop failed. So I also tried to load the original AVI file on to the clip monitor (uncut), and drag/drop also failed.

The mouse (grab hand) did not turn into a "circle/stroke" (a sign that it was allowing the action), but it also did not actually load the selection between the in and out frames on to the project assets list view.

This forum should have "emojis" for the mouse icons in forum discussions. That would be useful, since it is difficult to do screenshots of that. However, I can offer a 5-second video tracing what I did, and what the mouse icons looked like:

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture is very helpful.

Have you tried, as I suggested dragging from the PREVIEW WINDOW of the Clip Monitor to the Project Assets panel rather than from its timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's when I get the circle/stroke icon. I think this is the action you are referring to:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why that is happening. Dragging to Project Assets certainly works for me!

BTW what operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PE 11 under Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since upgraded to PE 15 and have the same problem. Impossible to move clips to Project Assets. I also can't see a way to save each clip to an individual file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To summarize,

• I am trying to split up a larger video (~30 mins) into smaller pieces and make a library of assets from the clips. The video has been currently cut into "virtual" pieces using the "scissor" tool. I don't know if that helped.
  • I have recently upgraded to Prem Elements 15 on Windows 10, thinking I would overcome my problems, but that didn't happen.
  • There are no sliders on the timescale, as was shown in other discussions that referenced this issue. I believe that that is because the videos demonstrated Premiere and not Premiere Elements. I don't see any way at all to get sliders on my timeline.
  • I can make markers that look like sliders on the clips themselves as they are below the timeline.
  • Other discussions referenced video in and out markers. I have nothing like that (they always seem to be greyed out) except for what was in the preview window. Drag and drop onto Project Assets doesn't work from the preview window. A video posted earlier in this thread shows my futile attempt at drag and drop, and may give some clues as to what my interface looks like in case anything looks a little off.
  • It looks like video in and out markers are an important thing I want to have, but those options are greyed out in my software. How can I make this selectable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines