Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving my media library -- without breaking everything

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

It finally happened. I'm out of space on my drive and need to move old contents off. Unforntutaly I'm not on NAS or SAN or RAID array so anything I do will ruin all the locations that my programs look for my media. Is there any way to tell my adobe products that everything is in the same file structure just in a different location without having to manually relocate every file? 

NOTE: I am not just going to move my whole library, the OLD stuff is going to go to a HDD for hot storage; but I am not going to keep my current projects or assets there. I am going to keep that stuff on my SSD so I cant just relocate the entire library. I just want to let the program know that this is going to happen:

C:/videos/old  / internal files and folders

more old / internal files and folders

even more old /internal files and folders

still more old / internal files and folders

assets / internal files and folders

current / internal files and folders

will now be this

C:/videos/assets  / internal files and folders

current  / internal files and folders

D:/videos/old  / internal files and folders

more old / internal files and folders

even more old /internal files and folders

still more old / internal files and folders

I know I can mount a drive in a folder on NTFS and im looking into capitalizing on that but I thought you all might have some idea how to do that without the dreaded MEDIA MISSING messages

TOPICS
Export , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you go to the Organizer's File menu and select the option to Copy/Move to Removeable Drive?

If you use the Organizer to make this move, you should not have to rebuild the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that's not bad. I am also kinda new to the Adobe products, is there a way to basically tell the program "I moved stuff go search for the file names and rebuild the catalog yourself?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of. But if you use the Organizer to move the files, it will keep track of their new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use the organizer will it let my other adobe products know where the new file locations are so I don't have to tell them all manually for each clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to re-link your Premiere Elements project files to your media's new location when you open a project in its new location. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EXACTLY what I was hoping not to hear. 😕 thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines