• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MTS files have no sound in Adobe PE2018

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently upgraded from PE10 to PE18.  I imported a .MTS file that originally came from a Canon Vixia HF G10 camcorder into PE18 and there is no sound associated with the video. When importing a .mov file into PE 18, the audio works fine.   I've read on other forums that sometimes there is commonly no sound with .mts files, but that hasn't been my experience with the last two camcorders that I've had or with previous versions of Premiere Elements. 

There is sound with the same .mts files when I import to PE10, however no sound with PE18.   Sound works when playing the file in Windows Media player.

Using Windows 7.

Any Thoughts?

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Most likely your camcorder is saving your video with AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio, which is no longer supported by Premiere Elements. AC3 support is provided in Windows 10, so you would be able to edit this video on a Windows 10 machine. However, Windows 7 does not provide this support in the operating system.

Can you set your camcorder to record in PCM audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely your camcorder is saving your video with AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio, which is no longer supported by Premiere Elements. AC3 support is provided in Windows 10, so you would be able to edit this video on a Windows 10 machine. However, Windows 7 does not provide this support in the operating system.

Can you set your camcorder to record in PCM audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying we can use PE18 on a win10 machine and it will work or PE18 is not going to play AC3 in any environment? Why is AC3 so bad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AC3 Dolby Digital is a proprietary audio format and Adobe has to pay a licensing fee to include support for it with the program. Since Windows 10 provides this support, Adobe elected to no longer include the Dolby component with the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of a followup here if I may after 5 months..LOL.......I have since reset my vid equipment to PCM per your suggestion and any new video I have taken now includes sound in the timeline when editing in PSE 18/19. Thanks!

Now, you suggested that any one using win 10 with PSE18 would not have any issue with AC3 codec. Does that mean that PSE18 is drawing on the win10 OS to populate the audio in the PSE18 timeline?

This PC is my primary video edit machine and it is still on Win7 pro. I have resisted upgrading it to 10 because it has always been so stable  and I thought 10 was a mem hog anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't purport to be an expert on how it all works, Hanger, but according to Adobe, yes, the software is using the codecs supplied by the operating system rather than providing its own. That's why it's not a problem for Windows 8 or 10 users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I suppose it is time for an upgrade 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ann.... That was Perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines