• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Never use compression in Premiere Elements 2018?

Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI folks.  Complete newb to Premiere Elements and most Adobe editing products.  I'm trying to learn a bit more when it comes to video editing so I was playing around a bit today.  One thing I absolutely do not want is compression of either video or audio.  I just have a couple large MP4 files that I want to chop up into smaller, separate MP4 files.  I'm fine splitting and cutting and everything but when I go to export there is a slider and even the "high" setting is compressing my audio.  How do I get Elements to just cut the file where I want and export without any quality loss?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compression can't really be avoided. Some pros use uncompressed footage for special purposes -- but for most part it's too large and bulky use. Imagine video that's like 50 to 100 gigabytes per hour!

In fact, if you're starting out with MP4s, your video is already compressed. And, if you run your video through a video editor, it's going to get compressed again. It really can't be avoided. And thankfully it's not going to cause a noticeable loss in quality.

You can probably avoid compressing your audio if you create a custom output preset that uses PCM 44.1 k audio. But there's just no reason to try to create a fully uncompressed video workflow unless you're shooting a Hollywood movie on a camera system that would preclude you're editing in a program like Premiere Elements.

Besides, even if you did keep your video uncompressed, what would you play it on? Virtually all video players are designed to play compressed video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.  I'm aware the video is already compressed which is more frustrating.  Why would you want to compress an already compressed video file any further?  It seems that all these products just want to compress something already further for some reason.  I would think if you wanted to do something simple like cut up a large MP4 into smaller MP4s you wouldn't need to do any compression as you're not altering the video any, you're just splitting it up.  Is there really nothing that can do that?  Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate you taking the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you are asking for is usually called "smart rendering".  Try reading or Googling about "smart rendering video editor".   Premiere Elements does not do it.  One program that usually comes up is called "TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer".  If not used it but, others have written in various forums that it works to edit clips without any re-encoding.

Good luck with your projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines