• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No sound AVCHD movie in Premiere Elements 2018

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed a trial Premiere Element 2018 and got no sound with AVCHD files. Sound in File from You Tube works perfect.

So what do I mis? I work with a computor with sufficiant memory and with Windows 7 64 bits.

Bob Mager

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

AVCHD files use a Dolby licensed audio codec called "AC3".   Support for that codec began being built into Windows 8 and is in Windows 10.  The end of last year, Adobe stopped licensing from Dolby.  Apparently the assumption was that, moving forward, it would not be needed in Adobe software because it would be in the operating system.  

The solution for you is to update your operating system or try other editing software. 

Good luck and I'm sorry for the bad news.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I have a similar situation with AVCHD Video (.MTS) files

1. If I select a video file to edit on my windows 7 pc using Premiere Elements 2018 there is no
audio.

2. If I do the same process using Premiere Elements 15 there is audio
imported with the video.

3. If I do the same process using Premiere Elements 2018 on my windows 8 pc
there is audio imported with the video.

4. If I do the same process using Premiere Elements 15 my windows 8 pc
there is audio imported with the video.

The specifications state that Premiere elements works with windows 7 - bit misleading if it doesn't import audio.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a reference document where Adobe states that apps use native OS support for Dolby AC-3 audio.  The Adobe reccomended solution is to update to Windows 10.

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I don't think I would be able to find that document - I can't even find how to email their support !

It is a bit unusual for a company to specifically quote in their system requirements page it edits AVCHD files and below that it quotes windows 7 requirements https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/system-requirements.html.

adobesystemrequirements2018.jpg

I do think they should specify up front it does not fully work on windows 7 and you should purchase Premiere Elements 15 if you are doing AVCHD editing.  Upgrading to windows 10 is not a good move for some people or some pcs.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my apologies Bill - I got the names mixed up !!  don't know my bob from my bill !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I agree with you.  The specifications are not clear enough.  I have initiated a request to correct the message.

Regarding support, there is a "chat" system to resolve installation issues with the Elements products.  This forum is provided by Adobe but staffed (mostly) by users.  The "ACP" badge/status is given to some and we are rewarded with a gift of software access.

There is another forum that is more closely monitored by staff:   Adobe Premiere Elements | Photoshop Family Customer Community   It is intended for bugs, flaws and feature requests where this forum tries to aim more at making creative functions work.

I noticed in your first post you are working with a trial.  It's good that you are and are finding the AVCHD limitation.  I have a lot of AVCHD footage and (for other reasons) upgraded to Windows 10.  So, it works fine.

FWIW, the same Adobe Dolby AC-3 decision also effects the ability to burn Blu-Rays.  That function was added in version 11 or 12 (I think) and continued through version 15.  Blu-Ray burning capability was removed in version 2018.

Again, good luck and have fun with your video editing projects!

Bill (another one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for the info Bill - strange the system shows me still on the trial - actually purchased PSE and premiere bundle - did the trial for 1 day.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines