• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No sound when importing AVI to Premiere Elements 2020

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing an AVI video I get both a video and audio track. But when I play it in Elements I get no sound. The audio track also looks strange, just a lot of vertical thin lines. The video plays fine, with audio, in all other programs. I am also very sure that I used the same AVI file in PE 2019 earlier. Here is what the file properties says:
torsdag 23. januar 2020_18h00m56s_001_.jpg

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most frequent sound issue here is the audio hardware settings.  Go to Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware.  Try changing Default Input to anything other than what it is.  "No Input" is often a good choice.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is already "No input".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is already 'No input'."

Then this gets more complicated.  Playing files and editing files are different problems.  

And 'AVI', 'MP4' or any other video format is a container full of stuff, including codecs.  To figure out the actual audio codec you can use the (free) MediaInfo program.  Open up a detailed view, take a screen shot and post it here.

With a little luck, maybe another user here can figure it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit it - with sound - with 3 other programs that I have tried. 

Here is what I get from MediaInfo:

fredag 24. januar 2020_08h47m38s_004_.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suddenly above my knowledge zone.  You didn't say where the video clips came from.  The MJPG video codec is not as "ordinary" as the more common H.264.  I hope someone with better codec knowledge offers some insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It comes from a small keycam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It comes from a small keycam." 

What keycam do you have?

With Premiere Elements, Adobe seems to try to cover the codecs from common, current, mainstream consumer cameras.  If you have footage from something else, it doesn't always work well. 

A common work around is to use the (free) program Handbrake to convert what you have to a more universal format for editing.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure about the name of the key-cam.
It's strange that PE is the only program that I have tried that can't handle this. Even free programs have no problem.
Yes, I know that I can convert it. But that takes way too long. It looks that the solution is to stop using PE and move to another program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines