• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Video Preview - Black Screen

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trialling Premiere Elements 15 and for some reason I don't see any video in the preview it's just black.

First, I had no video in the timeline (only audio), but all of sudden I have video in the timeline, but when I double-click to preview it, it is black. (Audio does come through though)

I tried the same videos on Premiere Pro - and they work fine.

The videos are .mp4, but they were converted from iMovie using Handbrake. They play fine through Windows Media Player and VLC.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Problem solved.

I disabled hardware acceleration in Edit > Preferences > General and now they play fine in preview.

I think it's because I had an onboard Intel card (as this was displayed next to the checkbox), but I use the W2100.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always recommend that you only convert videos if you really know what you're doing. You can actually make a video less rather than more compatible with the wrong settings.

What are the specs of the videos of you created with Handbrake? What is the video resolution and frame rate? Is it a constant frame rate or a variable frame rate?

You say you converted from iMovie -- but iMovie is not a video format. What was the format and resolution of the video you output from iMovie? Why not use it as is rather the converting it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

In their original form they wouldn't play video at all. They varied (either 720p or 1080p) in DV or AVI, 30fps I believe) - there's hundreds of them.

Out of handbrake they were either 720p or 1080p, H264 and in MP4 format with AAC stereo for the audio stream.

Sorry, they were cataloged in iMovie and I took the video files from the iMovie Events.localized events folder. I should mention that this was a switch from Mac to PC too. When attempting to import them directly as straight copies, they had the same symptom, except no preview in timeline either and wouldn't load up properly in Windows explorer or play.

Handbrake conversion fixed everything (fine in Windows explorer, thumbnail too now, viewable in Premiere elements timeline) but the ability to play them in preview is still broken.

Like I said, everything works great on Premiere Pro (different, also Windows PC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update - copied one of the videos to a different computer (laptop) running the same version of Premiere Elements and it works! Seems there's something specific to this machine.

Spec:

Intel i5-7500 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache

32GB RAM DDR3200

ATI FirePro W2100 video card

240GB Samsung SSD

4TB WD Black (Storage)

Windows 10 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved.

I disabled hardware acceleration in Edit > Preferences > General and now they play fine in preview.

I think it's because I had an onboard Intel card (as this was displayed next to the checkbox), but I use the W2100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue but in RUSH.  unfortunately, i have the Edit, preferences options but, don't have the hardware option nor the general option either.  Only the audio input/output option and, i've tried that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Hi, I have the same issue but in RUSH. "

This topic is two years old and in the Premiere Elements forum.  Can you try asking your question in the Rush forum here:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush/bd-p/premiere-rush?page=1&sort=relevance&filter=all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines