• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE 12 Crashing after Windows 10 update

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 3/4 of the way thru my project and my PE 12 is crashing and this seems to have happened after I did a Windows 10 update. I have Quick Time version 7.7.80.95 I have 6 GB of Ram 5.9 is usable. My hard drive is starting to fill, is has 596 GB of which 456 is used. Might that be the problem?

I have 448 clips on my timeline with the highest clip  260kb, my music is all on the time line and I am adding my titles to each clip.  That is when it is crashing. I have done a "save" after every step of the way, is there anything else I might do to protect my project so if my computer fails I have can restore the project? I don't usually do a copy or an archive of my project until I am totally finished. Also I have an external drive that is backing up my project thus far.

My total project is about 29,000 kb.

Any insight and help would be great.  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have over 100 gigs of free space on your hard drive, which should be more than enough. But it's worth doing a good Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter to make sure your free space is in large blocks.

That said, 450 clips on your timeline is a lot of media. You don't say what processor you have, but that could be a challenge for an underpowered processor. Particularly if your video is non-camcorder video and your project settings aren't set to that video's specs.

You might also try converting any MP3s in your project to WAV files (using the free download Audacity). In version 12, MP3 files stress the program a bit more than WAVs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Intel R core TM i7-2620M CPU @2.70 GHz processor if that helps Also I had done a disk cleanup and defrag as part of my trouble shooting.

Also my PE 12 is updated and so are my drivers.  I have used MP3 before and have not had a problem, also thought WAVs were larger files so have not used them.

My photos are from both a Canon digital camera and from my iPhone. My settings are for DSLR  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reason MP3 files are smaller is because they are more highly compressed. And more highly compressed files are more challenging for editing programs to use.

As an experiment, download the free trial of Premiere Elements 2018 and test drive it with your media files to see if you get better results. (DON'T open your version 13 project in Premiere Elements 2018 or it may corrupt. Start a new project for your experiments.)

We may need to look more deeply into the video files you are using and how your project is set up. But let's first see if version 12 is causing the logjam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines