• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE 15 and 2018 appear broken as of Windows 10 v1709

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 push of v1709 a few days ago breaks PE. No transport, unable to play standard MTS and MP4, missing codec errors. This is with PE projects that worked prior to the upgrade. Reverting Windows back to v1703 resolves the issue.

Tested and verified on four different systems by 2 different users.

Windows is very insistent about this upgrade - it can be deferred for a little while only.

Adobe needs to address this as high priority, ASAP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Someone needs to confirm that your video clips do not use variable frame rates and that they come from conventional sources. For instance, what model of camcorder do they come from? (If you've already answered this, I apologize, but this is the kind of redundancy you run into when you start multiple threads on the same basic topic.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is on still on 1703.  I'll watch this topic, see what happens and post results. 

If I do have to revert, how do you do that? 

Thanks. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

settings -> update and security -> recovery -> go back to previous version of windows 10

for patches, simply use restore points

I finally got the issue escalated in Adobe support - they will attempt to duplicate there and notify me in one to two days. I'll update post at that point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to learn a little.  I'm on 1703 "Windows Home".   And it says it is up to date.  It might be that 1709 is for organizations a lot larger than my personal group of one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 1709 and I'm not seeing any of this when editing MTS video from an AVCHD camcorder, MP4s from my Android phone or MOV video from my action cam.

Can you post some of your problematic MP4 and MTS video to an FTP site where we some of us can download it and see if maybe the problems are unique to your video clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

The other way around might be quicker - if you can post a short clip that does work under 1709, that would be great, and I'd know right away.  Will post findings, of course.

Thanks, Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone needs to confirm that your video clips do not use variable frame rates and that they come from conventional sources. For instance, what model of camcorder do they come from? (If you've already answered this, I apologize, but this is the kind of redundancy you run into when you start multiple threads on the same basic topic.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than wait, I forced an update to 1709.  It took a LONG time!  I probably should have been doing something more productive than waiting for Microsoft to finish commandeering my computer!

I'm with Steve.  PrE 15 and 2018 work fine.  I was in the middle of a 4K MP3 2018 project before the update.  I'm having no trouble with the same project after the update.  A PrE 15 project opens without issues.

Mark,  PrE 15 and 2018 are not universally broken.   It appears you have something else going on. 

Good luck finding your issues!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you didn't see the issue. Adobe confirmed it broke (at least for some). I asked when the update would happen, no answer in several days. will try again

Hi Mark,

Greetings from Adobe

We checked the issue with mp4 files created in Elements 2018 on windows 10 build 1703 not playing in windows 10 1709 with our resources and it’s a known issue which is being worked upon and is expected to be fixed in next update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to know what they (Adobe) mean by "in next update".

Do they mean in PE 2019?

Or do they intend to release patches for PE 2018, PE15, possibly PE14 & earlier?

Answers on a postcard please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assume the update is for 2018 only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve!

The codec for avchd (shot with a canon vixia m52) was processing variable frame rates under v1703. It broke under 1709, but converting the video from variable to constant allows PE to process the video correctly. I'd like to know what actually changed between versions of the codec, but the main thing is that it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marka404  wrote

The codec for avchd (shot with a canon vixia m52) was processing variable frame rates under v1703.

I wonder if this is not a case mixing up framerate vs bitrate.

Regular cameras dont produce variable framerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post helped me discover something interesting:

My usual workflow is, I get the raw files off the camera, and concatenate them into a single .MTS file using the concat input function in ffmpeg. At the same time, there is often some correction applied, for example white levels, gamma, etc.

As you point out, files come off the camera as constant frame rate; I was aware of this. Here is what MediaInfo shows for the raw file 00001.MTS:

Frame rate  : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS

My mistake was to assume that libx264, unless told otherwise, would honor the original constant frame rate - it doesn't.

Here is what MediaInfo shows for the output file once processed by libx264 as I was doing it.

Frame rate mode  : Variable

I used the ffmpeg output file as source for PE, which was where the issue arose. Telling ffmpeg to use constant frame rate takes care of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find your workflow a bit odd.

By using ffmpeg you are adding an unnecessary compression.

Common workflow would be copy entire card to hdd.

Ingest the mts files into Elements

Do the editing, color correction etc.

Export.

At the same time, there is often some correction applied, for example white levels, gamma,

Are you using scopes to determine the amount of color correction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use photoshop elements with the elements+ plugin to do initial correction.  I would actually love to do it all in PE, and I could with gamma, but white levels is where I simply can't match what i am used to in photoshop.

I use the white levels curves correction in the photoshop elements+ plugin to generate a curves file which is applied in ffmpeg. It would be so nice if I could get this in PE - even the linear curves auto adjust - by this i mean: the input range of darkest pixel through lightest pixel gets scaled from 0-255 for each of RGB channels separately. Why? The video I am given is often badly lighted, and the simple correction in photoshop often does more than any amount of tweaking i do with HSL tuner, 3 way color corrector, etc in PE. Perhaps i just don't know how to use those tools.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines