• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE files "lost": What after new hard drive and re-installed OS?

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, Dell and I did a serious back-up of my files before getting a new hard drive and a re-installation of the OS.

Now, my computer is running well.  Yet, all of my numerous Premier Elements' files have all the clips saying "Media Pending" or "Media Offlines"

These are originals or numerous works-in-progress.

Except for completed works that I made Vimeo, YouTube, DVDs or MPEGs,

most of my work since 2011 is "lost" because I don't have the ummph

to back to all my external drives and find the original clips, one by one.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Considering a few light years meditation retreat on Andromeda.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual media is never "in" a project in any video editing system.   They all establish reference links to where the the clips and other assets are.  The references included the "long file name" with the drive letter and all the folders. 

What to do?

From your backups, put the assets where they used to be.

Or, if you know where they are you can re-link them to new locations.  If they are grouped in the same folder, you only have to re-link one.  PrE helps by offering some guides to the linking process when a link is broken. 

To show an example of the process I have to break and re-link some files.  If you don't see how to do that, I'll try to post some screen shots.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Bill.

Of course you are correct. My problem is PE doesn't get it. I re-install

five images, each time PE tries to help, but it does not learn from my 5

previous image-installation. It always helps wrong.

So, it is an immensely tedious task.

I may just move on and try some other software for future projects.

-dave

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM, whsprague <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple different methods of saving projects WITH the source files that might help on future projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, whsprague

You mention different methods of saving PE work WITH source files. Let me

see if I understand your answer.

My current madness-driven method

Is to work PE and save it away from Documents...Adobe...Premier

Elements...10.0...Preview files

Then, when I have done significant progress, store a copy in the above.

Given more progress, I continue to save in that fashion and make an MPEG,

make a private YouTube to share with the hopes of getting ideas from other

people.

Finally, store the finished work in the Preview files; get it on an

external drive; make a completed MPEG; make a DVD; if it is short, store in

Vimeo

What can I learn from you, whsprague?

-david lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

There are two things you might look at. 

First is the "Project Archive" choices in PrE's file menu.  There are a couple choices to make, but basically the goal is to send the project somewhere, even external disks, for later retrieval.  Depending on the choices, it will bring copies of your sources to that external storage.

Second is a technique I worked out for selfish reasons. It is not in any of the instructions.

I have a computer with a SSD.  They are much speedier than an HDD!  That means everything from editing to output is faster.  I create a dedicated folder for a new project on that SSD drive.  I make sub folders for source clips and images.   In the PrE preferences I make sure all scratch disks are "Same as project".  I start by filling up the sub folders with copies of the original sources.  I don't use the originals thinking is is "safer" not to.   I start the project and keep it in the dedicated folder.  Depending on complexity, I may make some "Save As" versions.  PrE automatically saves some project backups in that same dedicated folder.  The point is that EVERYTHING for a project is in it's own folder.  One of the sub folders is "Output" where I put all the versions I might want ranging from local 4K viewing to Vimeo. 

The goal of speed is accomplished.  The side benefit is that I can move the folder with the operating system (Windows Explorer) to anywhere with a few mouse clicks.  I keep current projects on the machines internal HDD and older ones on external HDDs.  

If I want to re-work a project I have to put it back on the SDD drive (C:\) because PrE needs the media source files where they were when the project was started.  Putting back is easy with Windows Explorer. 

It has worked for me for several years but has one flaw.  Some of my externally stored projects were done with earlier versions.  I did not keep track.  So, it may be that if I open a 5 year old project with the current PrE there will be corruption. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANKS, again, Bill

I just made a stickie so when I recover from this disaster and

move on to other PE projects,

I will give the Project Archive to an external drive.

Also, will save your messages and get back to you in a few

months.

Meanwhile, I think I will dedicate the winter to a major project

that just uses language (and hopefully, some true ideas).

-david lee

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 12:54 PM, whsprague <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines