Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE2018 : missing codec following Windows 10 upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been running Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 OS Build 15063.674  for a couple of months now and editing .MTS files in PE2018. PE2018 stutters quite a bit while playing in editor compared to earlier version I was using (PE14), but does work. (My 64 bit machine runs fast i7 chip and is plenty capable of editng without stutter, so not sure what this is about).

Two days ago, Microsoft pushed a major upgrade to newest Windows. Upon restart, PE2018 gives a missing codec dialog for .MTS file I was editing the previous day.

I used windows rollback to revert the changes, same problem. Through sad experience, I've learned the only safe bet is full backup, which i do regularly. So, used Acronis to revert to previous Windows 10 version image created 2 weeks ago, and PE 2018 is able to edit .MTS again.

MS makes it difficult to avoid their automatic updates to Windows 10; eventually it will likely happen.

So, here is the question: anyone know what DLL PE2018 is using for avchd codec?  Is there a way to avoid this problem when Windows 10 "helps me" with this upgrade again?

Thanks in advance...

Not sure if it helps, but here is info on the .MTS that PE2018 says there is no codec for following Windows update:

General

ID                                       : 1 (0x1)

Complete name                            : D:\2017-09-08_az_pp.mts

Format                                   : MPEG-TS

File size                                : 6.19 GiB

Duration                                 : 1 h 2 min

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 14.3 Mb/s

FileExtension_Invalid                    : ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty

Video

ID                                       : 256 (0x100)

Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4

Format settings                          : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, RefFrames               : 5 frames

Codec ID                                 : 27

Bit rate                                 : 13.3 Mb/s

Width                                    : 1440 pixels

Height                                   : 1080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Variable

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Stream size                              : 5.77 GiB (93%)

Writing library                          : x264 core 152 r2851 ba24899

Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio

ID                                       : 257 (0x101)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Codec ID                                 : 129

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz

Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 114 MiB (2%)

Service kind                             : Complete Main

Menu

ID                                       : 4096 (0x1000)

List                                     : 256 (0x100) (AVC) / 257 (0x101) (AC-3)

Service name                             : Service01

Service provider                         : FFmpeg

Service type                             : digital television

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem.  After a recent (automated and unwanted) Windows 10 update, all transport features in my PE15 stopped working (except Page Up and Page Down).  I could slide the cursor around as see still frames correctly, but could not Play anything.  Hitting the Render button did nothing.  A paid upgrade to PE 2018 was worse - couldn't even slide the cursor.

I realize this isn't an answer to Mark A's post, but I'm new to the Forum, and hoping that this post will be added to the discussion, and perhaps help with a solution.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with an NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1070 video card, if that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling/reinstalling Premiere Elements would be the first thing I would try.

Although I'm seeing more and more reports of Premiere Elements 2018 having issues with AC-3 audio files. So that could be your real issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PE 15, and PE 2018 is a fresh install after the problem (and the Win10 update) occured.  This is all on a high-powered HP gaming PC that was running complex video editing projects in PE 15 without any problems before the Win10 update.

Another bit of info:  On a fresh boot of the PC, I can play many different video formats with several generic media players (Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, etc.) with no trouble.  I then run PE 15 or PE 2018, have the problems I described earlier, and close PE.  After that, no media players will play generic video formats correctly any more (they either freeze or play in super-slo-mo) until I reboot.  The reboot then brings all non-PE performance back to normal.  So, not only won't PE run correctly, but it's messing up Windows somehow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I'm not experiencing anything like that, so I have no idea what to suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually pretty serious - PE 15 and 2018 are now broken as of Windows 10 v 1709.

I tried this on 3 separate systems over the last couple of days - same result. Windows is really pushy about the upgrade - it can be held off for a little while only.

Anybody from Adobe monitoring this forum?

I'm going to start a new thread with a catchy title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, thanks for suggestion. Have already re-installed with no effect. Regarding AC3, I generally save the audio as .WAV , unlink audio and video, then replace the original audio with the .WAV. This is because the audio generally needs work in another product like izotope rx (highly recommended product!) as I'm editing.

So, i suspect something else is at play.

As a side note, I really appreciate your videos/tutorials! You might have an answer to this as well:

I usually end up wanting to do a white/dark level balance on these videos, and none of the tools/effects in PE do this directly. Instead, i take a freeze frame from the video, open it in photoshop elements, do the white level balance in elements+ (effects -> elements+ -> color and tone -> curves/auto curves), and export the results as a .ACV file, which can then be run through ffmpeg against the video like so:

ffmpeg -i INFILE -f mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -vf "curves=psfile=adjust.acv"  -c:a copy OFILE

Once the basic levels are set, PE's 3way color adjustment does a fine job. This certainly works, but sometimes i want to use keyframes to gradually apply curves changes - say indoor filming with inadequate lighting during a transition from daytime to night. ​In this case, the static curves file applied by ffmpeg is not ideal.

Is there a way, using PE, to get a photoshop elements style curves adjustment? maybe a plugin ?  I guess Premiere Pro had/has this , but my budget doesn't permit.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marka404  wrote

......like so:

ffmpeg -i INFILE -f mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -vf "curves=psfile=adjust.acv"  -c:a copy OFILE

Wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tools on Premiere Elements' Adjustments panel have always been effective in correcting color for me, Marka. I've not found the need to do something as complicated as you're describing.

But glad to hear you've found my tutorials and books helpful! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you start a new thread, you're just going to start your whole conversation over again. So you won't get better answers.

Besides, you've already got at least two threads going with the same topic -- so the conversation is already getting pretty confusing.

But do note that, unless others can duplicate your issue and resolve it, you won't likely get a response. And I'm experiencing nothing like you describe on my Windows 10 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Perhaps I went about it wrong; my hope is to have someone from Adobe respond directly.

Of course I'm glad you are not having issues, but in a way it's unfortunate you are not. As a programmer half my professional life, I know  the "some people have it, some don't" issues can be hard to track down. Prioritization of this by Adobe will come down to what percentage of users are seeing the problem.

For those who have it, this one is a show stopper. Here is what I know for certain:

- the issue is related to the x64 Win10 v1709 update, both pro and enterprise versions

- the program is unusable under Win10 v1709, - re-installing does not help

- this is occurring on multiple machines, I have tested 2 different laptops and a workstation, all commodity hardware

- the original installation of Windows on the machines experiencing the issue are plain vanilla - no custom hardware, or strange 3rd party drivers.

I'm willing to help Adobe in any way I can with the issue, but am hoping someone from Adobe shows up! Do you have another suggestion for getting at least a response from Adobe?

Thanks, Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried contacting Adobe Customer Care via chat? If there is a solution, they usually find it.

Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines