• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Premiere Elements .. Using MacBook ... Organizer Stops Responding . Everything Locks Up

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using (with a Macbook Pro and version 19) Photoshop Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements in concert Organizer locks and everything locks. I can force quit Organizer and re-load it. That only works for awhile.

. . .

This is expecially frustrating because I bought a Macbook Pro (2/19) after a couple of visits to the Apple Store to complain about the same problem with my two year old Macbook. On each visit I was assured that a Macbook Pro with its strong video processing power would be the solution. But his 2018 Pro with

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

hasn't solved anything and I see no difference between the performance. I am $2000 poorer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure which program you're concerned about. Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements and the Elements Organizer are three different programs.

But when it comes to challenges with Mac OS, it's best to contact Adobe Customer Care via chat and let them work it out. The challenges the latest OSes pose for these programs are too complicated to work out on a user to user forum.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements Organizer, Photoshop Elements Editor and Photoshop Premiere Elements work in concert as I use them. I pick video and photographs out of Organizer; and I create some title pages and size photographs in editor, and finally I put them together in Premiere Elements.

They are three different programs that must work together.

Adobe chat has taken control of my MacBook but not solved the problem. Apple too has controlled my computer.

Do others have this problem might be my first question.

I have a very new MacBook Pro and the newest versions of these programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is harsh, but if it was common that others had this problem, this forum would be flooded.  No, I'm not saying it is not there.  It obviously is.   If Apple and Adobe can't fix it with remote control, it may be time to try something else.

With Apple products being considered premium products, maybe the best choice is to try Final Cut Pro.  As an Apple product, it is regarded as being the best there is for Mac computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2LloydP  wrote

Photoshop Elements Organizer, Photoshop Elements Editor and Photoshop Premiere Elements

They are three different programs that must work together.

It is Premiere Elements, not  Photoshop Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bill. If neither Apple nor Adobe can fix this, the smartest move would be to another video editing app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have accepted the Apple Stores offer to take back my six week old Macbook Pro and, in exchange for the incremental cost of 8GB more RAM, give me the Pro with 16 GB of RAM. 

And I have no confidence that is the solution. 

As I drove home I thought that I should have bought their video editor for $299 (as you recommend). And may still do that.

I thank both of you for your response .  Apple and Adobe gave what totaled two to three hours of effort, which I am thankful for. I have used Elements for over fifteen years, extensively, but had no problems until I used Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"give me the Pro with 16 GB of RAM"

First, I hope it work and would bet that it will.  Second, please post the results?

8 GB of RAM may seem like a lot, but for video editing it is not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now working with a new MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM rather than the 8 GB. 

My problem with Organizer locking up while using Adobe Premiere Elements continues. That is that Organizer locks up and I have to do force a quit to make things move. I could select files I want to work on with Premiere Elements place them for convenient access, then close out Elements Organizer. 

My next step could be to buy the Apple product Final Cut Pro. This gets more and more costly and other must have this same problem. The advantage of switching to Final Cut Pro would be that I would just deal with one organization to make it work.

I haven't done a restore of any kind on this MacBook Pro. The only software I installed were the Adobe products Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements. I imported from an external drive two or three dozen videos and soon got the lockup in Organizer.

So far my costs have been the switch from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro to a MacBook Pro with more RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the clue is your statement, "I imported from an external drive two or three dozen videos and soon got the lockup in Organizer."

What is the source, file type and contents of those files?

I would be glad to help further, but am out of ideas.   Your issue is not common or this site would be flooded with it.  There is something unique to your computer, files or other part of your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I intended with " "I imported from an external drive two or three dozen videos and soon got the lockup in Organizer." was that I did not restore from a Photoshop Elements backup, rather just put a small number of videos on thumb drive  and imported them to Photoshop Organizer.

So Photoshop Organizer and my MacBook Pro had the bare minimum to begin testing with.

My actual editing exercise was with three 30s videos with which I intended to do some trimming and panning and zooming.  My initial attempt was with Organizer, Editor and Premiere Elements all open.

Didn't get far before locking up and had to close down Organizer to get things moving,

Then I exported those three videos to my desktop, closed down Organizer and imported them to Premiere Elements.

That works but Organizer had to be taken out of the work stream.

Well it is hard for this computer, a MacBook Pro just taken out of the box, or the videos just imported from a thumb drive to be unusual.

Well everyone has been stumped so far and I will no return to the Apple store. I've been throwing money after this to no avail.  Of course, it is not just money I have invested in this Adobe suite but a lot of experience.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Organizer because I use Lightroom.  

In other words, I'm doing some guessing.

I've read about some things Organizer can do that might be part of the issue.  One is that it will go through your entire computer to catalog the files and (optionally) do facial recognition.   It might be just very busy for a few days and not really locked up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not related to facial recognition.  First I loaded this new computer with a small number of video files, the two or three dozen I mentioned in my April 3rd message. I hadn't thought of Organizer and facial recognition, but the small number of files on the hard drive make me rule out that.  Second I have only had this problem with Organizer locking with the addition of Premiere Elements to my work flow.

Why Organizer requires the force quit and not Premiere Elements is not at all clear. When the force quit is required Premiere Elements has quit responding too.

I am still working with that small number of only video files, my computer is not offering a facial recognition task to Organizer.

I do appreciate your guessing.

You can guess that after upgrading the Photoshop Elements suite and from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro to a MacBook Pro with more RAM that I am disappointed.

My next tack will be do just get out of Organizer after loading the video files. That will be another piece of information if Premiere Elements keeps working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it possible that photographs stored in iCloud could be a factor in my Organizer becoming unresponsive?

I had another session with Adobe where the representative took control of my MacBook Pro in a session that lasted over three hours. He uninstalled and installed Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements and stood by as I used these for awhile.

Everything worked while we were connected, but shortly after we separated my system began again to quickly go unresponsive and require a force quit. I was not editing video files, but correcting the dates connected with each file. The date associated with each video file was the date of my recent import, not the date that the video was recorded.

That same representative has agreed to connect with me again tomorrow if my trouble continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines