Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pictures sideways in slide show in premiere elements 11

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere elements 11.

I create a slide show within the organizer.  While doing so, I notice some pictures are in wrong portrait/landscape orientation and a few are upside down.  In windows explorer, I rotate the pictures to correct orientation.  Upon re-entry to the slide show, I see they are corrected.

I then output the slideshow to premiere elements to burn along with some video.  In the pre-rendered timeline version and in the final version, the pictures that I fixed revereted back to original orientation.  I re-check the files in windows and in the slideshow itself and they are correct.

How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Here is how I got around this.  Output slideshow to premiere.  Once in premiere, right click and "break apart slideshow."  Then, go through and manually rotate each sideways picture by right click and "rotate 90 left".  Upon rendering, photo orientation appears correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotating photos in Windows Explorer doesn't really rotate the picture. It merely rotates YOUR VIEW of the photo. In order to actually rotate your photos, you'll need to open them in a program like Photoshop Elements, rotate the image and resave the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.

This is going to be challenging.  There are dozens of photos with incorrect orientation.  The ones I "fixed" all appear in the proper orientation in windows explorer preview, windows picture display, elements organizer AND when I open the file in photoshop elements.  It only shows up when outputing slide show from organizer to premeire - so, I guess I'll have to preview the slide show in premiere, identify each one, and then rotate/save in Photoshop Elements?  That doesn't make sense, because when i open in Elements, it shows up as already correct orientation. 

I cleared all the cache and deleted the pre-rendered files before bringing in the "corrected" slideshow.  I even created a fresh project and output to it - still wrong.

PS The issue with photos being wrong orientation seems to coincide with when I went from Win 7 to Win 10 earlier this year.  On picture import, there is a box to check to rotate pictures - I think I'll leave that unchecked from now on....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also output the slide show to .wmv via the same screen in the organizer - all turned out ok.  Issue is isoloated to rendering in premiere....  So, I guess I can get around it if I can just find a 1080 24p codec with a high bit rate for wmv, I can have elements output at higher than the stock 720p setting in elements 11..........  I had one and did this before, but guess I lost it when I bought a newer computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know where I can find the codec to point elements to for 1080 24p wmv output?

Alternately (and much less preferred), is there a newer version of elements that allows output of wmv slideshows at this setting.  Highest for 11 is 720p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - where the hell is ATR?  His forum was much more helpful........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR left this forum several years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is how I got around this.  Output slideshow to premiere.  Once in premiere, right click and "break apart slideshow."  Then, go through and manually rotate each sideways picture by right click and "rotate 90 left".  Upon rendering, photo orientation appears correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines