• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plain Subtitles on video in Premiere Elements 10

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - I have just purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and I am trying to add subtitles to some video clips that I have on file.  The main problem that I am coming up against is the templates used for Titles - there doesn't appear to be a plain one, the one that interests me is the Fun Lower Third but I don't want the wave on the clip - just the text.  Is there any way I can edit the wave out or am I going about this in completely the wrong way? I would be grateful for any help you guys could offer me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Any Title can be used as a Lower-Third. Those with an otherwise good layout for you, can be altered to suit. There will be "placeholder Text" and possibly a Shape, perhaps with a Style applied. In the Titler (Title editor), you can use the Selection Tool to Select and Delete, or modify any of the Templates, as is needed.

If you will be creating many "sub-title" type Lower-Thirds, I would use Steve's suggestion to create what you want from a Blank Title, and get the font, any Styles, etc., that yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into the Titles workspace. You get in there by clicking the "T" in the lower right corner of the Monitor panel.

Once you're in this space, you can select any font and color it any color you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve - many thanks. It's got me going in the right direction...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Title can be used as a Lower-Third. Those with an otherwise good layout for you, can be altered to suit. There will be "placeholder Text" and possibly a Shape, perhaps with a Style applied. In the Titler (Title editor), you can use the Selection Tool to Select and Delete, or modify any of the Templates, as is needed.

If you will be creating many "sub-title" type Lower-Thirds, I would use Steve's suggestion to create what you want from a Blank Title, and get the font, any Styles, etc., that you want, and then Save that Title as a Template for future use. I have a few dozen personally created, or modified Title Templates in the "Hunt Titles" sub-folder, so I can just draw upon those.

Now is probably a good time to talk a bit about Titles. First, they are incorporated into the Project file (PREL), and are defined by XML language. At this point, they do not exist, beyond that Project. If you will want to use them in other Projects, you will Save as a Template (PRTL) file, which can only be opened by PrE, or PrPro (same format for both programs). The Template is Saved to your HDD, where you direct the program to do so. I keep mine in the Library section, and in a sub-folder, "Hunt Titles," so that Titler can find those Templates easily, and that sub-folder will appear in the drop-down list.

Next, when one uses a Title in PrE, that Title first appears in the Project Panel (be a bit careful here, as PrE also wants to place it onto the Timeline, where the CTI - Current Time Indicator, or Playhead, is located, so you want to watch out for that, incase you have the CTI in some place, other than were you want the Title placed.) Also, you can have many Instances of that Title on the Timeline, BUT they are all linked to the one in the Project Panel - they are but Instances (think identical clones) of that ONE Title. Any change to one of those Instances, and those changes will affect the Title in the Project Panel, plus EVERY Instance of it on the Timeline. This is good for making global changes/corrections, but can get confusing, if you want that Title and all of its Instances to remain unchanged, but want different, albeit similar Titles, based on that one. For that, you will want to Duplicate Title, and name it something else, or use a Title Template, naming it differently. With sub-titles, you will want the same general layout and look, but will want different Titles, not just Instances of one. Each will then be unique, and can be changed, without affecting what you have already done. That is one way that I use Title Templates - creating new Titles from them, having them appear as discrete Titles in the Project Panel, and then dragging any Instances of each, that I need, where I want them on the Timeline.

Last, though we see the "background" as black, it is really Transparent. In the Titler, if we are working with an overlay Title, with Video, or still Images (or even other Titles) below it, we will see that underlying material "thru" the Transparent Background. That is why Steve's method is perfect - a Lower-Third is not really a Title, limited in height, but is a full-frame Title, but most is totally Transparent - just the Text, or Shape, is placed in the Lower-Third of the Frame.

Good luck, and happy Titling,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill - you are obviously a super expert on this and I thank you for the information that you provided.  I think I have now cracked the problem of getting the subtitles on to the movie but it seems such a convuluted process.  This is what I am trying to do - I have a 5 minute clip of my wife's friends (who are German) who are sending goodwill messages on my mother's recent birthday.  They are talking German and my mother is English. So, in order for her to understand what they are saying I am entering subtitles in English.  As far as I can gather I need to break the movie down into clips and insert the subtitle to match the conversation that is being spoken at that time and then rejoin the clips to make the movie.  When I tried this the quality of the subtitles and the movie itself was pretty bad - I can only think that there must be a rendering problem.  Is the method I have described above the only way that you can add subtitles to a clip with a lot of speech?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason to break your video into short clips.

If you're working in Timeline mode, you can add titles, as I've advised above, and adjust them so that they their duration matches the dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - this really does show my ignorance of the programme - how do I get into timeline mode? Sorry - I am a complete newbie to video editing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh - sorry I have worked it out - many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that you found Timeline View Mode, as that will make life so much easier.

When you create your New Title, it will be created at the Duration you have set in Edit>Preferences>Still Duration, which is 5.0 sec./~ 150 Frames, if the default has not been changed. However, you can drag that Title to Video 2, or an empty, higher Video Track, and then can click-drag on the Tail, to alter the Title's Duration, to suit. I agree with Steve, that you do not need to do anything with your Video Clips, as the "sub-titles" will be an overlay, along the bottom.

Now, for clarity, I would use a sans-serif font, that is adequately thick, such as a bold. I would also keep those subs fairly short, and not try to cram too much text into each, as the font size will get small, and readibility will be diminished.

This ARTICLE has some tips on Titles and Menu Text for DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill - I now have my titles or the first one anyway in the timeline but the quality of the film when I play it back is terrible - I'm not sure what you are saying about the Still Duration - is this having an impact on the quality?

Many trhanks

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render your timeline whenever you see red lines above the clips on it. (Press Enter.) When rendered (the red lines will turn green) it should play at full quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the rendering bit now and the film quality is good - wish I could say the same for the subtitles - they are jagged and blurred - I'm using Adobe Casion Pro - doesn't matter if I use Regular, Bold or Semi Bold they come out the same - is there a recommended font for Subtitles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you looking at your video at 100% actual size and is your Monitor set to display Full Quality. (Right-click on it to find out.)

Try outputting a segment of your video using Share/Computer/AVI with the DV codec and play it at 100% actualy size (NOT full screen). It should look fine.

If not, post a screen capture to your next post so we can have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines