Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback freezes in Adobe Premiere Elements 2018

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video Editing Problems

I realize that this subject has been covered previously, but nothing solves the problem for me.  Playback stutters and freezes unpredictably.  After pressing “Render”, video starts playing immediately, but then freezes again. Although Premiere Elements 2018 is a recent upgrade, problems started with version 15.   All suggestions welcome.  Is there a better way to spread the load over different hard drives?

Camera: GoPro Hero 3 Silver

Video taken at 1080p, 30fps, 1920 x 1080, medium Field of view

Computer: Custom Build.  Software and drivers are all fully updated by manufacturer

Motherboard:  ASUS X99-A11

CPU: Intel  i7-6800k, 6 cores, 12 threads

RAM: 32 GB DDR 4

Video Card:  nVidia GT 640, 2 GB RAM

Boot Drive C:  Samsung 960 EVO SSD 256 GB

Antivirus:  Kaspersky Total Security

Quicktime is not installed as there are concerns with Windows 10

Video Editing Software:  Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 (recent upgrade)

Project Settings

Editing Mode:  DSLR

Timebase:  29.97

Frame Size:  1920 x 1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  Square

Fields: No Fields

Display Format:  30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Audio: Sample Rate:  48000 Hz, Display Format:  Audio Samples

Camera Clips are on 1 TB HD

Media Cache is on Samsung 960 EVO SSD

Scratch disks are on Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD

Video Editing Information from MSI Afterburner

CPU usage sometimes hits 100% during playback, but this doesn’t necessarily coincide with freezes.  Some cores have higher usage than others, but not always the same cores.  CPU 12 seems to hit 100% more than others

CPU temps are 25-30oC

GPU usage does not exceed 30%

RAM usage:  8769

Pagefile usage:  9490

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

2018 Adobe Premier Elements playback stops during editing.

SOLVED!

Like others, during playback while editing a new video, my playback would stop at various places.  According to everything that I read, especially Adobe, I suspected that some processes were occurring in the background that were taxing my processor to the point that Adobe Premier Elements 2018 was being affected.  The problem was trying to understand what they were.  I am not a computer guru but I managed to stumble on another prob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you setting up the project?  Are you doing it manually at the start or by sliding a clip to the timeline and letting PrE pick the settings?

The quicktime concerns are with the .exe file, not the support files.  It can be installed and the .exe file renamed to .bak or other.  Or the Quicktime installation has an option to install only the support files.

Could you share a clip via dropbox? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I slide clips to the timeline and allow PrE to pick settings.  They seem to match.  This is what I have always done, and it worked in the past.

I can see methods of installing Quicktime.  Is it likely to provide any benefits?

I have never used Dropbox, but could try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have less computer than you do and don't have trouble with playback previews stuttering.  There is a reason somewhere.

The Quicktime associated files might help, but that depends on the clip formats.  I don't think that is the issue, but it has been for some users.

The point of sharing a clip is to see if I, or someone else, can discover an issue.  DropBox is pretty easy.

One thing you might try is to change a setting in Premiere Elements.  In Edit>Settings>General there are some choices for video hardware.  They are check boxes.  Whatever they are, try the opposite.

You asked about spreading the load over different drives.  That was an "old school" technique.  On my computer I have a single SSD where I make a folder for each project.  I put the source files, scratch disk settings and output all in that same folder.   The SSD does it's speed magic and all works well, even with 4K files.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

There are no check boxes in Edit/Project Settings/General.

There are some in Preferences/General, and I have tried each of them individually.  No change

Here is a link to a clip: Dropbox - GP020669.MP4

I will take a look at installing Quicktime tomorrow

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the overnight delay....

I downloaded your (very nice) clip and started a "test project".   It works fine on my ASUS i7 laptop with an SSD and Nvidia graphics.   I do have Quicktime installed (but renamed Quicktime.exe to Quicktime.NOT so it won't run). 

My set up was to create a folder on my SSD, put the clip in that folder and start a new project in that folder.   I let PrE pick the project settings.  I tried adding some color corrections to see if I could get it to lag, stall or freeze.  It did not.

Conclusions on my end have to be that there is nothing wrong with the clip or Premiere Elements.  It might be that on my machine PrE is borrowing a codec (or other) from Quicktime.   Other possibilities (that go beyond my pay grade) include how your graphics card and drivers are set up, bottlenecks in how the multiple drives are set up or other hardware issues.  Frankly, I'm clueless.

If there is anything you want me to try, please say so.  

Good luck getting this figured out!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I did install Quicktime and changed the exe filename.  No change.  Here is what I found on the Apple website:

QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple. New versions of Windows since 2009 have included support for the key media formats, such as H.264 and AAC, that QuickTime 7 enabled. All current Windows web browsers support video without the need for browser plug-ins. If you no longer need QuickTime 7 on your PC,

I also tried changing the Preferences so that all project files are on a single SSD.  Again, no luck

I restored all nVidia settings, but I think they were all original anyway. Again, no luck.

I will continue to try any ideas that I might have, and I really appreciate the time and effort that you put into this.

p.s. I now covet the GoPro Hero 6 for its rear screen and image stabilization etc., but wonder if/when Adobe will support the H.265 compression standard that this camera uses

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try putting your source video clips on the same SSD with the project files?  This is a total guess and beyond my skill level, but could you be having some sort of bottleneck on the buss that the drives operate from?  (I emphasis that I'm guessing.)  Frankly, it makes no sense to me that your clip plays perfectly inside of Premiere Elements on my ASUS laptop and not on your computer.

Regarding H.265, the answer is no.  I don't know when or if Premiere Elements will incorporate support for that.   More guessing, but I think it has to do with costs and demands.  When I read about H.265 HEVC it seems someone has to pay license fees to use it.   With so few consumer cameras using it, it seems the costs might not be justified.    The first purpose of Premiere Elements is creating videos from consumer cameras and camcorders.  Premier Pro CC does have H.265 capability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, (with M2TS files) which was solved by unchecking the "Use hardware acceleration (Intel ...." box.

Everything works perfectly now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I can play/edit videos then it freezes automatically. Only way to solve the problem is to save the project and open again. Super pain in the back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omiazad  wrote

I have the same problem. I can play/edit videos then it freezes automatically. Only way to solve the problem is to save the project and open again. Super pain in the back.

It is not normal behavior for Premier Elements to do that.  There are variables ranging from disk space to memory and file type.  It also matters how the project is set up.   I'm only one user, but with several version on three different computers for a half dozen years I've never had video editing freeze. 

I will try to help as much as I can, but you'll have to volunteer the details of your computer, camera, footage and project. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whsprague

Thanks for your response. Like you I have been using this application from quite a long time:

9ZV3O8g.png

11 and 2018 is not listed on this image as I have purchesed them from another account due to geo restrictions.

I am getting this problem only in 2018. Say I am editing a video, I press space to resume playback then pause, cut then play. Suddenly it freezes, sometimes it keeps the audio rolling but video is frozen. You save the project, close PE then start over and everything backs to normal. Again after some time this happens.

So upgrading to 2018 became a pain in the ass now. I am editing simple MP4 1080p 30fps files. Nothing fancy. My machine is a i7 with couple of SSDs and Nvidia graphics. Though this graphic has nothing to do with PE as Adobe swore to God not to provide fancy hardware support.

I have checked this with another machine (smiler config but fresh installation) did not notice this problem yet. But I am not sure why this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here,

I am using Premiere Elements 15 and while working on a clip (f.e. 10-15 min long), which was recorded with OBS to .mp4 HD.

I always render the timeline, but that does not really help. It freezes almost always if I move in the timeline and if I make a cut I have to wait a few minutes aswell.

Havent found a solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same Premier Elements freezing problem.  Last week I purchased and downloaded PE 2018 and I opened a big project that I was working in in PE V 14.  Using PE 2018, the project basically would not run.  Just would freeze up.  Furthermore, I was no longer able to open the project in PE V14.  My fix was to delete the newly downloaded Premier elements 2018 from my system and completely start the project over.

I don't understand the Quicktime issue.  Should I load Quicktime on my computer?  How will that help?  Why should the .exe file need to be renamed?

I am using a Dell XPS 15 with a 1 TB SSD, 32 GB memeory, i7-77000HQ @ 2.80 GHz CUP, Nvidea graphics card.

When I set up the project, I allow it to auto set-up using the first clip.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robertb15766851  wrote

I don't understand the Quicktime issue.  Should I load Quicktime on my computer?  How will that help?  Why should the .exe file need to be renamed?

There were security issues, hence renaming disables its ability to introduce malware.

See here:

99jon tech: QuickTime Player - Apple Drops Support on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a bit late in the day, but with reference to julians25237867 problem, I see from the Spec, julian has an nVidia External Graphics Card, yet from the screen grabs, Elements preferences has the Intel Hardware (The Onboard Graphics checked), rather than Unchecked to use the external nVidia Card (Elements could be confused at to which Graphics it's being asked to use). This seems to be confirmed by Dabinva74.

On a different note, I think I've discovered a different problem when used with an iMac Fusion Drive (Part HDD and part SSD). Premiere Elements loses Permissions every now again and won't start up. I think I'm safe to say after two months of trying this, Elements doesn't always get Folder/File Permissions with moved files from HDD to SSD and is noticeable when Backing up the System. If Elements has moved into SSD during Backup, when you return, after the Backup, to open Elements, it fails to open. This was only happening on the Fusion Drive and not on Standard HDD iMacs I have. By Terminal Command, I detached the SSD part, using HDD only and the problem has gone. I will post this elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with 14 (which was fine up to 4 weeks ago), and I also had the same problem with the latest, which I trailed and won't be buying.
Adobe support is worse than useless. The even suggested I go to the forums for the answer. That says a lot about how Adobe care about their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can now, after some time, confirm my original report:

"I think I've discovered a problem when used with an iMac Fusion Drive (Part HDD and part SSD). Premiere Elements loses Permissions every now again and won't start up. I think I'm safe to say after two months of trying this, Elements doesn't always get Folder/File Permissions with moved files from HDD to SSD and is noticeable when Backing up the System. If Elements has moved into SSD during Backup, when you return, after the Backup, to open Elements, it fails to open. This was only happening on the Fusion Drive and not on Standard HDD iMacs I have. By Terminal Command, I detached the SSD part, using HDD only and the problem has gone. I will post this elsewhere."

Update to my comments:

Premiere Elements (any version 14-16) does not have repeated Permissions problems if the HDD is NOT a Fusion Drive (HDD Plus SSD) and have now found it OK if the System is on a Total Spinner Drive or Total SSD Drive, but not a mix.

This is a problem of Adobe not following Permissions and NOT an Apple problem, as no other software fails. Also, this has gone on through all recent versions and not fixed. Why?

Adobe's "Set Folder permission answer, DOES NOT WORK after the first attempt".

My fix does, Either use a normal spinner HDD or Totally SSD for MAC OS, but not the Fusion mixture. This should be fixed by Adobe, but 4 years later, nothing. All that's happening is the they are pumping out ever reduced functionality. In particular 2018, has far too much missing for me to use it and was a waste of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded Elements 14 onto another PC I have which is a lot slowed, less Ram, no SSD. The program works fine. I think you have hit the nail on the head.

It's shameful that Adobe continue selling a product that they know is flawed.

I can run Power Director, Vegas and other software without any freezes, so Adobe has lost a customer.

Thanks for your comments..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Adobe have finally sorted the freeze problem. Too late for me to buy their latest version as I bought a package from Cyberlink..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2018 Adobe Premier Elements playback stops during editing.

SOLVED!

Like others, during playback while editing a new video, my playback would stop at various places.  According to everything that I read, especially Adobe, I suspected that some processes were occurring in the background that were taxing my processor to the point that Adobe Premier Elements 2018 was being affected.  The problem was trying to understand what they were.  I am not a computer guru but I managed to stumble on another problem when I opened Device Manager in Windows 10.  It kept refreshing every few seconds to the point that I could not click on any item that was listed.  Something was going on in the background.

While searching for clues I found under Control Panel/Devices and Printers about 1,100 unused devices under Multimedia Devices.  It took a full minute for the display to fully populate.  I figured that if the processor was taking that long to populate the display that it might be the cause.

I use Genie Media Services for my home network and that was the source of the 1,100 or so posts.  It just kept growing over time, further taxing the resources.

The Fix:  First stop the bleeding.  Go to Settings/Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change Advanced Sharing Settings/Private/Network Discovery and select “Turn off network discovery”.  This will stop Genie Media Services from adding devices.  Turning it off did not affect my existing home network devices.

Now for the hard part that must be done.  Remove all the unused devices listed in Devices and Printers.  Unfortunately, Windows will not allow removing groups so each one must be removed one at a time.  3,000 mouse clicks got mine removed over about 45 minutes of cumulative time.

Both Adobe Premier Elements and my Device Manager are now working perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines