Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback from timeline now judders in Premiere Elements 14

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon.

I have been successfully using Premiere Elements 14 for more than a year now and previous versions before that. I started a new project and suddenly when I import video clips into the timeline they judder when I play them back in the program or when I play them back after being rendered and exported. After starting the new project I changed the render quality from draft to best render quality, and also ticked the box for maximum bitdepth. I dont know if that caused the problem but now I have returned the settings to how they were, restarted my computer and still the problem exists. I tried downloading the free trial of Premiere Elements 2018 to see if that would ressolve the problem but the problem still exists on PRE 2018

1) Do you have any suggestions about what could be causing the problem?

2) If I uninstall Premiere Elements 2018 Trial and Premiere Elements 14 will I still have access to my open projects that I have in Premiere Elements 14 once I reinstall Premiere Elements 14, or will they be deleted when I uninstall? A further possible complication is that when I installed Premiere Elements 2018 it asked if I wanted to change my Prermiere Elements 14 Catalogue to the 2018 catalogue. I said yes. If I dont reinstall PRE 2018 will I still have access to my PRE 14 catalogues? I have several ongoing open projects that represent many dozens of hours of work. I would hate to put any of those projects at risk.

I would so appreciate your help

Many thanks

Linda Collison

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

I had a delay but finally looked at your files.  

The two source video play well with two different simple players on my computer. (Windows 10 Movies and TV, VLC)

The two source videos won't edit without the shudders on three different video editing programs.  (Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro, Handbrake)

It seems to me that your computer and software works like mine in that it can't work with the clips.  Somehow they are flawed for editing but not viewing.  I can't determine what the flaw is.

I do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) What operating system do you have? What processor do you have with how much RAM? What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is the video's format and resolution?

2) You should not open a project in any version of the program other than version in which it was created. In other words, do not open a version 14 project in version 2018. The program is generally not backwards compatible and corruptions may result. Always finish your project in the same version of the program it was started in.

The program will, however, update any old version catalogs to whatever the most recent version of the program is you have installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thank you for replying.

I have discovered something since I posted above.

It is only one download from my Canon 7Dii that seems to have the problem. Other downloads from the same camera seem to be playing back fine in PRE14. The source files that I used play back fine on my computer but not in PRE14.

My Project settings seem to be compatible with my source files.

Give me a minute and I will look up the answers to your quesstions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Windows 10

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 AM4

16 Gigs RAM DDR4

Camera: Canon 7Dii 1920 x 1080 MOV

2) Do I need to go back to my catalogue and instruct it to open my projects in PRE 14 since I told it to convert them to PRE 2018? I want to uninstall PRE 2018 but dont want to lose my old projects which I instructed to open in PRE2018

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in uncharted territory when you open projects from an older version in a newer version.   It depends on what features, tools and techniques you used.  In general, simple projects may work and more complicated may not.

Probably your best option is to delete or ignore the 2018 version and continue with version 14.  All of the project files that were  NOT opened in 2018 will have been untouched without change.  The Organizer catalog only records where the files are.  It does not change them.  So when the 2018 Organizer imported them, nothing was done. 

My understanding of your post is that you only opened a single project in 2018.  I suggest you don't open that one in version 14.  The good news is that, by default, Premiere Elements saves backups of the project files every several minutes.  The safest bet is to use the most current backup project file rather than trying to open a project that has been modified by 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Fortunately I didnt open any PRE14 projects in PRE 2018. I opened a new project and imported the same media which also played back jerkily. I deleted the new 2018 project. So if I understand you correctly I can delete PRE 2018 with no consequences to my PRE 14 projects despite having 2018 migrate the PRE 14 projects over to 2018 during the instillation process?

Are there possible other complications to uninstalling 2018? Would you recommend that I just leave it on my computer?

The jerkiness is very strange. It does not appear in the original video clips on my computer. It only appears after I bring them into Premiere Elements. It also only affects video that I shot outdoors in brutal subzero temperatures in very strong wind. The footage that I shot from the car on the same card doesnt jerk. The jerk is a single pixel clip every now and again which displaces that single pixel clip up or down and turns it black and white which is very jarring. I was wondering if it would make a difference if I converted the original video clips that I coppied from my card to my computer (which dont jerk) into a different format, if that may make some difference? I cant understand why Premiere finds problems with video that windows media player doesnt.

Do you think if I import the dodgy footage into Premiere Pro and then export it as an MP4 in order to reimport into Premiere Elements that could make a difference? To cut out each of the jerks will take many hours but when I do cut that one pixel slice out of the video, it runs perfectly smoothly as if the added jerk is not a corruption of the actual footage but rather an added artifact of some sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know of no risk with deleting Premiere Elements 18.  There is no reason that would affect earlier versions.

Regarding the jerkiness.....  What you see when you are editing is a "real time" preview rendered "live" from your source files.  There are a variety of reasons that this can be less than perfect.  At final output, the previews don't matter.  The files are, in a much slower process, re-read and "rendered" or "encoded" to a file based on your chosen specifications and format.  In other words, the final is likely to be of greater quality than the preview.

You may be able to import the dodgy clips into either Premiere Pro or Elements and output a smoother file.

Why just certain clips?  Cameras can record in "variable bit rates".  Files in some scenes will be more complex that in others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting. Is it preferable to render in maximum render quality on the timeline and have maximum bitrate ticked in preferences? I have been rendering in draft quality but read recently that that can negatively affects the final exported product

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have been rendering in draft quality but read recently that that can negatively affects the final exported product"

I've read that too and can't find evidence or logic to back it up.   Part of the confusion comes from using the word "render" in too many ways. 

Step one is to have a project where you setting match the most important parts of you source files.  That makes it run as smoothly as possible.  The computer processes it so you can do your work.  Is that rendering, coding, transcoding, encoding, or ??  Is it making previews or proxies?

Step two is to make a final product.  It could be everything from a DVD with terrible resolution to the latest 4K TV standard.  All the source material has to be re-read and rendered, coded, transcoded, encoded from the source to make what you want.  The project file has the instructions, but I'm pretty sure the real time previews are ignored. 

Do you have "Hardware Acceleration" on or off.  Change it.  And, try High Quality, Slow Speed.  Be sure your project setting match the dodgy video clip.  Even if it is jerky during editing, try outputting that section to your intended settings and take a look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your time.

I had Hardware Acceleration ticked before the juddering started and didnt have a problem with it before. I desellected it after the juddering started. I think my graphics card is a GeForce GTX 560 Ti which I understood to be compatible with hardware acceleration when I originally had my computer built.

I have just changed my render quality to High Quality, Slow speed in Preferences.

In Project Settings should I have Maximum bit rate sellected?

I tried outputting my dodgy footage to MP4 on "Export and Share" but it juddered just the same.

My settings do match my dodgy footage as I only used Canon 7Dii footage in this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome for the time.  Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas except for asking you to email me the dodgy clip that judders via DropBox or similar. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies Bill, different time zones.

If you let me have the relevant Dropbox details I would love to send two original source clips that don't judder and the same two after being exported from PRE14 which do judder in the program and when exported. They are not the best videos of the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon in Iceland but the juddering is representative of all the clips that I took while there.

Many thanks

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LInda,

DropBox is open to the public.  It is like a cloud/internet external drive.  You open an account that is free unless you have huge needs.  You copy your files to it and declare them to be public.  DropBox then gives you a "link" to post here or to email.  Similar are Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive. 

I don't know if it applies, but my camera can create juddery video if it is on a tripod and the lens stabilization is on. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I think I have uploaded 3 video files to DropBox. Please let me know if you cant see them.

I see that  one of my source files has a bit of juddering but not as much as the juddering after that same file was exported from PRE14. They are all unedited.

Thanks for the suggestion of the tripod stabilization judder but this is a different type of judder as you can see from the exported PRE video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a delay but finally looked at your files.  

The two source video play well with two different simple players on my computer. (Windows 10 Movies and TV, VLC)

The two source videos won't edit without the shudders on three different video editing programs.  (Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro, Handbrake)

It seems to me that your computer and software works like mine in that it can't work with the clips.  Somehow they are flawed for editing but not viewing.  I can't determine what the flaw is.

I don't know what else to try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, thank you so very much for all your help. Determining that my hardware and software are not the problem is a HUGE help. I am so relieved that I am probably not going to have this problem on other footage shot on the same trip as I have already checked footage taken on the most brutal weather days. I was going to check my graphics card next and reinstall PRE 14 but now can just relax and get on with editing the dodgy footage by removing the jerky frames from the sections of footage that I want to keep. Very very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

FWIW, traditional DSLRs (without specialized firmware hacks) are not highly regarded on video and video editing forums.  It has changed somewhat with the highest priced Canons and Nikons.  Mirrorless cameras do better and there are a couple from Panasonic and Sony that are highly regarded.  Serious videographers use video cameras. 

In other words, your footage is pretty good for what you shot with.  When you are finished with your Iceland video I hope you put it on YouTube or Vimeo so I can watch it.  Keep up the good work!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

We like the flexibility of different lenses despite the challenges that DSLR's pose. In the future I will migrate over to a video camera but for the time being I have a ton of camera equipment that will become obsolete when I change. Cant bring myself to do it yet .

I will upload our completed video to our Youtube channel here: Linda Collison - YouTube  (or Youtube user: colli5543 if the previous link doesnt work) but it will be awhile yet as I have loads of footage to process and I have hit another problem. I tried to open two different projects on PRE14 - subprojects of my Iceland main project. Premiere says that the project seems to be damaged and therefore cant open. Not just the most current version but all the previous incarnations of the same project. I dont know if all my Iceland sub-projects are affected or just the two that I tried to open. I uninstalled PRE 2018 and opened a new project in PRE14 for the dodgy footage. I have been cutting out the jerks and I will see if it opens tomorrow when I restart my computer! It's too soon to panic!

All the best

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning

Sadly it now looks as if I have a software problem. My new project from yesterday has the same error message: The project appears damaged and cannot be opened.

Would you seggest that I reinstall RRE 14? If so do I lose all my open projects when it uninstalls, or will they still be there when I reinstall? I have three months work sitting in open sub-projects!

Is there something else that I could try? The first error message came before I uninstalled PRE2018. The last error message was a new project after I uninstalled it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bill.

False alarm. It seems as if I can open my existing projects from within PRE14 but not from the location on my computer where my saved projects sit. I have only tried to open the most recent project but assume that the others will open the same way.

It appears likely that PRE2018 insallation had something to do with the disruption.

Thank you for all your help. It is very much appreciated. I am fully opperational again!

Kind regards

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines