Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor output/rendering quality in PE2018

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have gone through almost all posts concerning this topic and have followed the recommended solutions. Unfortunately I am still not happy with the result of my exported videos. Here's my setting upfront (I am from Germany, so please excuse if I will be unsing wrong terms or wordings).

I come from iMovies and Final Cut Express and working with a Testversion of PE2018 to see if it matches my requirements. I am working with a Panasonic sd909, so AVCHD format. The format parameters of my recorded files are:

Format: H.264, 1920x1080, 25 FPS, AC3, 48kHz

When I start a new project I chose "PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25" as settings for my new project, as this is exactely the format I am recording. Via SD-Card I import the files. There is no orange line under the time line, so the setting matches the file I imported. In my recent testing I didn't do any cutting or editing the the clip. I just went to the export function. And no matter which output format I chose, the final file is clearly worse than my original. Even if I go to the custom settings and chose H.264 as an output format (with the exact parameters derived from the original) the best result is shown below in a comparison with my original MTS file:

This is the original file, coming straight from my cam.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-05 um 11.02.07.png

This is the same frame after PE2018.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-05 um 11.05.06.png

As you can see: the output file is much darker, has far less details, is lacking resolution even if I push the bitrate to the max, borders are edgy etc. And the entire appearance is becoming worse, when you have a look at the motion and not only at a screenshot. It gets also worse, when I add a background or additional text. And ultimately it is not a question of the player I used: QT, MPlayer, VLC,... all the same.

To my understanding I took all steps I know and I found on the web. Is this the max quality PE2018 is able to deliver? Neither iMovies nor FCExpress have brought such a loss. Please tell me that I made some mistakes PLEASE !

Cheers

Arndt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Since there is no orange "render" line along the top of the timeline, your project is matched perfectly to your video, which means that you are getting the best and most efficient workflow possible.

If you use Export & Share/Devices/Computer and select the 1920x1080 MP4, your output will be the best possible you can get from Premiere Elements. You should not see a noticeable deterioration of quality. (Although, if you've got a keen eye, you may. I see little difference between your original video

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all AVCHD is not a very good format for greenscreen.

Second you are exporting to H.264 which is also highly compressed hence the lesser quality.

If you want to keep it the same you will have to use an intermediate codec (Cineform or Prores).

But why are you exporting this way and without the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there is no orange "render" line along the top of the timeline, your project is matched perfectly to your video, which means that you are getting the best and most efficient workflow possible.

If you use Export & Share/Devices/Computer and select the 1920x1080 MP4, your output will be the best possible you can get from Premiere Elements. You should not see a noticeable deterioration of quality. (Although, if you've got a keen eye, you may. I see little difference between your original video screen capture and your output.)

That said, you appear to be using the Trial version of Premiere Elements, which is not generating an actual video output. Once you purchase the program, you'll get a full quality output without the "Erstellt mit der Testversion" overlay.

Here are my results, starting with a 1920x1080 MP4 and then outputting a 1920x1080 MP4 from this video in a Premiere Elements project.

AVCVsPrel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

thanks for your reply! Of course, the overlay will disappear, once I purchased it. But do trialversions have any limitations or "downgrades" resp. the video output quality?

I will give it another shot with your mentioned output format and see how it comes out. I know that I might be picky here, being aware that this is a more amateur targeted product and not a PRO-tool. But budget limitations, you know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clearly see downgrading in the output.

But then again the original is not very good to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

there might be better startingpoints re. the format but my Panasonic Cam is what it is. And so far, I didn't have any quality issues with my former software. So it is not only subject to the AVCHD but also to PE2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to export manually and bump the bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I have made manual adjustments, too, but with no positive effect. Bitrate was at 15 and that's max. I don't even see any improvement of quality with ANY setting. I avoided AVCHD an went full HD 1080p50, using these input and output setting as well, but no better results. Now the original input quality has improved but not the output. Pitty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arndt_de  wrote

Bitrate was at 15 and that's max.

That's too low if the source is AVCHD.    Can you post some screen shots of your output work flow?  If 15 Mbps is the best you can find, something may be wrong with how you are doing it. 

You may remain committed to the idea that "PE2018 has a poor rendering/coding engine."  But, my is the experience is the opposite.

Good luck with your projects and your search for software you like better.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mIght be choosing the wrong settings, please post screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

don't get me wrong, I'd love to get it up and running! But after four five days with no step ahead,...

Here are the screenshots of my workflow. It is in German, but you should be able to read the numbers, which are most important

Here's the screenshot of my original mts file including the format information:

H.264

1920x1080

50 FPS

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-10 um 20.26.45.png

Before I import this file, I set up a new project in this format. Watch out, we're PAL !

There is no other 1080p50 format setting available, which does not mean I haven't tried some other settings. But I chose this just to have a starting point with you guys.

In PE2018 itself, once I rendered the clip, all looks fine and HD'ish...

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-10 um 20.29.25.png

This is my Export-Setting and I didn't do any editing, nothing, straight into the export- function.

I chose custom setting, and derived the export format from the original, which is (correctly shown here) 1080p50.

As you will see, I boosted the rate to 30MBit/s.

In a nutshell up to here: Source file parameters = project parameters = output parameters.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-10 um 20.33.02.png

This is now the result. Left original mts and right PE2018 export:

First thing, you will see is that the export file is significantly darker.

If you'd have it on screen in front of you, you would see e.g. that the greyish beard has far less structure and less detail, blurry somehow. On the original material you can see single pores, on the expprt file not really.

Further the edges have becom really sharp and unclean. And all this is becoming worse when you see the motion and not a standstill picture.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-10 um 20.38.23.png

So this is how I do it. I went through several input/output settings, 1080i50/25, 720 etc, Bitrates 15-45 etc. And no change to the setting has brought any improvement.

I would be glad to hear you opinion and please point out any mistake I may have made !

Cheers !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhat confusing here: your first sequence settings are SD and exporting to HD?

Exporting to H.264 will always give you quality loss no matte what.

Elements and H.264 do not have smart render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

your answer is re rachaelos post, not mine right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm not sure. I dont know any of this technical stuff. I've used the software for 10 yrs but only just now having issues with this new version.

Can you tell me what settings I should be using and can I change them now? And am I exporting it incorrectly? I want them to play on TV.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rachaelo, which format is the file that you get from your camcorder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my videos are mp4 from my phone. but most of the project is made up of photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing you have to do, when you start a new project:

FILE - NEW PROJECT and then a new window appears. Here you can set up your project. In the bottom left there is a button "custom settings" or something (sorry I do not have the english version of PE), click there and a new window appears. here you have to select the format of your videofile. that should help. first try 720p

second, when you export your video, chose 720p as well. If you choose a higher resolution, Premiere Elements has to extrapolate the missind pixels which in most cases brings a loss of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried that and i selected PAL DV Widescreen. i exported to SD 720 and still the photos are terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to jump in on your post but I am also having the same issue and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I was previously using elements 16 and I never had a problem with the output quality.

I am now using elements 2018 and I use all the same presets but the output quality is really grainy. The videos look ok but the photos look terrible. It doesnt matter if it's a 10min video or an hour video I'm creating, theyre still the same.

I honestly dont know much at all about the technical details so I am at a loss with how to fix it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I don't really have an answer for you but I still see the same grainy result. I changed my cam to 1080p50 and still post rendering and export there is an obvious loss of quality. In my case both video and pictures are grainy. I went through ALL settings, changed and exported the output format over and over again, avoided AVCHD etc pp and still not happy with the result. Actually I have not seen any improvement with ANY setting. I used the same clips and pictures in iMovie and Final Cut Express and both are on a higher level qualitywise. You really can SEE that it is a HD production.

My conclusion is (without any technical/coding knowledge): PE2018 has a poor rendering/coding engine. I purchased it, yes, but will not recommend to anyone. As soon as there is an alternative in that price range on the market offering higher output-quality, I will give it a go and turn my back on PE2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone could help me I would be very grateful. I'll add some screen shots showing my settings and how the video has come out. My videos are just of family holidays so theyre mostly full of photos. I think my settings must be wrong but I'm not sure how to change them after I've already created the project. I am really not good with this technical stuff  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone able to help me with my output quality issue? i dont know what i'm doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have been trying to figure my issue out and i have no idea what the problem is but i can tell you the following. i went back to my old computer and opened elements ver 13 and confirmed that the project settings i was using on the old computer were the same as i'm using on my new computer. then i went back to the new computer and opened one of my already created projects (from ver 13 which came out totally fine on my old computer) and exported it and i get the same issue, really blurry photos!

so could it be a problem with my new computer?? I dont know what to do now?

please if anyone can help i would be grateful.

TIA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines