• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pre not reconnecting after restore to different drive

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new SSD and cloned my old C drive to it and it was working fine with Pre 14.

But I want to move the catalog and files off the nearly full SSD to the other internal drive (old C: drive, wiped and now called E:) for storage, run the OS and program on the SSD

I backed up following the backup/restore directions to an external drive and attempted to restore to the E: drive and the Catalog says it's the E: drive, but the Organizer is looking for the files in C: not the E: drive.  The rest of the file structure matches what is located on E: starting with the TestPRErestore folder that Pre created with the backup, BUT it's looking in the C: drive.  I've tried Optimizing but it just says it is optimized.  How do I get Pre to actually LOOK in the drive I've told it to?  I don't want to have to manually reconnect 4,000 files.  AND I have to turnaround and do the same for 20K images in PSE 13.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you how to get PrE to change where it looks.  The issue has to do with "long file names" where PrE internal references use file names that begin with the drive letter.   I don't use Organizer, but suspect it is the same. 

I also don't know your file structure, but depending on where your media is, relocating one file can relocate all of them.  Lightroom works similarly.

I can suggest how I manage the same situation.  For a project I create a unique folder on my SSD where I put everything related to that project from the media file copies to the scratch disks and final output.  When done, I move the entire folder to a storage drive.  If I want to work on it again, I move the folder back to the SSD.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the whole purpose of Backup and Restore was to avoid moving things back and forth. 

In chunks I have reconnected the items in the organizer to the E: drive where I restored the catalog and the old file structure is all there and the media files are there but the project files are not (PREL) files and MP4s and so forth.  Most of my video projects are in the same hierarchy tree.  I had project files and copied media files in folders by project. And I want to store the majority of files on the E: drive.

Are the project files not moved with backup and restore?  I'm so confused and searched everywhere for a step by step guide to do this, but keep getting just the basics and it never seems to tell you everything you need to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at all sure I understand what you are asking.  Premiere Elements does not have a "Backup and Restore" in it.  There is a Project Archive function on the File menu.  Is that what you are asking about?  What "Backup and Restore" are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you change the drive letter of the E drive to C and see if that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

Can you change the drive letter of the E drive to C and see if that works?

Bob,

Would than not totally confuse everything on the new SSD C drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I think it would confuse the new SSD C: drive to try and rename the E: drive.  What I did was, after I reconnected all the media files (images and videos) in the Premiere Elements Organizer (which is where you Backup and Restore) I copied the folder that has all my video project files in it to the E: drive so I could delete them from the SSD C: drive.  So now I go to E: to open an old project file and the Pre 14 is running on the SSD drive but the files save to E: drive.  I think I'm squared away.  I just wish I knew how to avoid all the reconnecting when I do the same thing and move my PSE 13 catalog over to E: drive.  I have over 20K photo files in that catalog. Guess I'll haunt that Forum too.  Thanks whsprague and PB for your responses.  Somebody needs to write a more definitive list of steps for us not so software savvy folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misread the question. I was thinking you had one drive and it was named E.  After reading the post again, I realized that the OS is on the C drive and the media is on the E drive.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

susanh58314995  wrote

I got a new SSD and cloned my old C drive to it and it was working fine with Pre 14.

But I want to move the catalog and files off the nearly full SSD to the other internal drive (old C: drive, wiped and now called E:) for storage, run the OS and program on the SSD

I backed up following the backup/restore directions to an external drive and attempted to restore to the E: drive and the Catalog says it's the E: drive, but the Organizer is looking for the files in C: not the E: drive.  The rest of the file structure matches what is located on E: starting with the TestPRErestore folder that Pre created with the backup, BUT it's looking in the C: drive.  I've tried Optimizing but it just says it is optimized.  How do I get Pre to actually LOOK in the drive I've told it to?  I don't want to have to manually reconnect 4,000 files.  AND I have to turnaround and do the same for 20K images in PSE 13.

Your problem is in the cloning.

That looks like a similar discussion in the Photoshop Elements forum.

If you clone a drive, the new drive will work exactly like the original one.

But...

The organizer stores the identification of your drives with two parameters.

- the drive letter

- the internal serial number of the drive (useful for external drives which are assigned different letters depending on the other installed devices)

The cloning restores both parameters.

If everything, catalog and photo / video files is on the same drive, no problem

If the media files are on another drive, no problem either.

... until you want to re-use the original drive as well, internally or not.

The organizer database has now two drives with the same identification, and it is totally fooled...

To avoid this problem, it's possible to assign in Windows a different internal serial number to the original drive to be re-used.

More details in this help file from John R Ellis:

psedbtool (Photoshop Elements Database Tool)

The backup and restore process is ok if you don't have the same internal serial number.

The situation was extremely rare until the advent of small SSD which often come with 'cloning' utilities.

So, the good practice is now to avoid re-using the original drive to store photos (I guess there will be no problem to use them for backups).

I would also move my media files (not necessarily the catalog folders) to another dedicated drive (internal or external) before cloning the master C: drive. You can either move a whole folder tree from the organizer in the left folder panel or use the backup/restore method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines