Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PrE2018 - GPU decoding not working with newer nvidia drivers

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've run into a curious situation with Premiere Elements 2018. My desktop computer runs an 8-core, 16-thread i7 5960X with plenty of memory, fast storage, and two nvidia GTX 1070 GPUs. I also recently picked up a Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen, which has a 4-core, 8-thread i7 8650U, also enough memory and fast storage, and has a much less-powerful Intel integrated GPU. IPC per core of the two CPUs are essentially identical, and clock for clock, the 5960X is actually faster. Here's my issue:

When using the same 4K input footage, with the same project settings and same output, encoding/transcoding is more than TWICE as fast on my 4-core laptop, which keep in mind begins thermal throttling pretty quickly, than on my 8-core desktop which has more than twice the cores. Every single benchmark gives my desktop a 2.5X advantage, and when using Handbrake, or other tools, that holds up.

So, I ran the GPUSniffer tool on my desktop, and it spits out " * Not chosen because of kernel failure." on both GPUs. In other words, PrE2018 is completely ignoring my GPUs when running the decode portion of the transcode/encode process, choosing instead to offload it to my CPU. Because 4K footage at 100Mbit/s is very processor-intensive, you can imagine that this is why I have the slowdown.

I've ready other forum posts, and its seems that PrE2018 and other Adobe products don't like newer nvidia drivers. This is a problem, as I can't just use one or two-year old video drivers to solve this issue. I am not holding up hopes that anyone from Adobe will ever read this, or address it, especially because PrE is probably bottom of the barrel in terms of their priorities. But it would be nice to be able to use my computing power the way it should work. Of course, encodes to complete, but this is simply way too slow given the power available on the computer. Anyone else have this issue, so that it might pique the attention of a moderator or developer? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe Premiere Elements uses your GPU at all during the rendering process. The program is entirely processor dependent.

That's why, if you're going to edit with Premiere Elements, I always recommend getting the fasting processor you can, while even a basic Intel graphics system will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Grisetti​, thanks for your reply, but I may not have been particularly clear. Essentially:

1. Premiere definitely uses GPU. It uses it to decode input video to improve rendering speed. When I encode on my laptop with Intel GPU, you can definitely see GPU use in Task Manager during encoding sessions as it decodes the incoming 4K video.

2. Desktop is 2.5 times more powerful than laptop (faster single-core, and 8 cores total, vs 4 core laptop). Yet, laptop is twice as fast in encoding. Core for core, the computers are comparable, and desktop has more cores, so it should be faster. Yet, it's twice as slow. Only difference? nvidia GPUs showing 0% utilization vs laptop integrated GPU showing lots of utilization.

3. Adobe Premiere's own utility shows that it's ignoring my nvidia GPUs on the faster desktop. Therefore, because it's doing that, overall rendering performance suffers terribly as a result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the reference I'm looking for.  I recall reading that Premiere Elements includes use of the Intel CPU "on board" GPU but not a GPU on a graphics card.  I think the Intel brand name for it is QuickSync when video is involved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in a similar boat. I upgraded to a GTX1060 GPU thinking I was going to have mean editing machine on hands, only to find out that it sits idle while rendering, with the CPU doing all the work and struggling when 4k is involved ( i7 & 16GB Ram ). Was I wasting my time buying the flash GPU ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have i7 with 16 GB of RAM and edit 4K.  I don't think mine struggles.  What troubles are you having?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements crashes during rendering, 'white screen of death' then the program shuts down. I'm just gutted that I bought the NVIDIA GPU only to find out that Elements only uses the CPU while rendering. Despite setting a processor preference with the app as described elsewhere on the web, the GPU sits idle. It seems I have two options, upgrade my PC with a later generation i7 or even i9 processor, or find another video editing program. I'm reluctant to change out of PrE2019 as I've invested so much time in learning to use it properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that changing some setting or drivers can fix this.  You want to try that or move on to other software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your bios there is a setting of gpu on pci-e (nvidia),  or on the CPU, I forget what I set mine to, but I get both of them to show up, then I installed the intel video drivers and now premiere uses the intel gpu for playback &  encoding and my video games use the nvidia card for gaming through some magic reason I don't quite understand

also if your editing 4k, ya better be on a 7th or 8th gen cpu, doesn't make a  difference if it's a core I5 or a core i7, thanks to competition from AMD forcing intel to add most of the video speedup stuff and hyper threading to the core i5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines