Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere elements 10 - Playback shows only still images

New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am sitting here with Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and it has worked fine, up until now.

I am certaintly not an expert, and I am hoping for an easy solution!

I had a problem with black edges on all four sides of the finished video earlier. I was adviced to change the project settings to something with 1080p, because my setting stood on 720p as a standard. So I set it to NTSC > DSLR > 1080p > DSLR-1080p30. This seemed to have solved the problem with the black edges, however it created a new one, the one I am asking about.

The playback, while I am editing, show a still image of where I am pointing to in the timeline. It also plays the audio and the "pointer" in the timeline moves. If I click on the playback itself it seems to "refresh", and the image changes to where the "pointer" is in the timeline.

I have restarted my computer multiple times, as well as the program. I have also tried to reinstall the program, but none of this solved the problem. I am not a technical-guy, as you probably have guessed, but I tried to check in the settings of the computer if I had the correct specs to go along with the program. And from what I can interpret I have more than enough RAM to run the program properly.

I am using a completely new camera which produces files with: 1920x1080 and a framerate of 50 per second. I can't seem to find a preset that is any more similar to these specs than the one I have described earlier: DSLR-1080p30.

Waiting for response,

thank you in advance

Vetle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll need more information in order to help you.

What operating system do you have? What processor do you have with how much RAM?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

When you look under the program's Edit menu, what is listed on the General page of Project Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am operating with

Windows 10

64 bit

2,49 GHz

8 GB RAM

The camcorder is a Panasonic Lumix tz100, and its format is mp4.

Skjermbilde 1.PNG

Thanks for the quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific about your processor? 2.49 ghz is not a processor. It is a clock speed.

Also, your camera shoots in a variety of resolutions and frame rates. Which are you shooting at?

4K/UHD (3840 x 2160 @ 30p/24p), 1920 x 1080 @ 60p/60i/30p/24p, 640 x 480 (30p)

Do you have Quicktime installed on your computer? This is required with version 10 in order to work with a number of video codecs, per the program's system requirements.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a long time since I used a version where you have to manually pick your project settings. 

The ts100 is a model for PAL countries.  My wife as the ZS100, the model for NTSC countries.  That is a very nice camera!

I think I remember that versions 9 and 10 could edit 50p or 60p 1080 footage but did not offer a setting.   In the USA my camera then shot 1080 at 60p (progressive).  If I remember correctly, I got Premiere Elements to work as long as I had the 1920x1080 and "progressive" selected at half the frame rate. 

In your first post, you wrote the camera is set to "1920x1080 and a framerate of 50 per second".  I think there may be a project setting choice of 1920p25 in the PAL choices. 

Again, from memory, I recall that Premiere Elements didn't officially support AVCHD, 50/60p until version 11.  Perhaps you should consider updating your software to go with your new camera if you can't get version 10 to function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked under the PAL section and found a 1080 progressive setting with 25 frames per second, half of the camera-output. That was the setting you suggested. Sadly I end up with the same playback-problem.

I do not remember which setting PE stood on when it worked, I only remember it had black edges around all four edges and it was in 720.

Also, I do not know the difference between DSLR, AVCHD, DV and HDV.

I have heard that there are differences in PAL and NTSC, and Norway - the country I live in and bought the camera in - is a PAL country. So I think the PAL is where I should be looking under.

As you say, there are no preset which offer more than 30 frames per second, but when I showed the program to a friend that knows a little more than me we found an even wider range of settings, up to 60 frames - I think. I think this was in the settings right before I save the video, after I have finished the editing.

Thanks for the response and all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I see.

My processor is called Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @2.50GHz 2.49GHz. I hope this is the answer for your question on the processor!

Regarding my camera, I am shooting at 1920x1080 @ 50 frames per second.

Skjermbilde 2.PNG

This is the information I get from right clicking on the videofiles and then "egenskaper" (the button furthest down).

My language is set to norwegian, if you have trouble with the language I can try to translate!

I did not have QuickTime installed, neither do I know what it is. I have installed the one you've sent me and downloaded it to the same local disc as Premiere Elements. This did not solve the problem sadly. Perhaps I have to activate QT in some way?

Thanks for the help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vetle, try the following.

1. Record a short video - about a minute is plenty

2. Save your project

3. Go to Export & Save -> Devices -> HD1080 (pick the one that shows 1920 x 1080 beneath the box)

4. Click Save.

The reason for picking the HD1080 box is that all of the pre-sets have already been done—be sure to pick the one with 1920 x 1080 under the box. If you use one of the default  settings, everything else has been taken care of for you.

If that works for you, you're all set. Otherwise.... back to the drawing board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for the precise directions!

I did as you said, I have saved the project and am scrolling through all the settings under export.

I do not understand what you mean when you say "devices".

Is it selecting between AVCHD, MPEG and so on you mean when saying devices?

I belive I have been using a setting under AVCHD before.

But there are many to choose from. Which one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines