• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 14 crashes when previewing clips

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I can't find any solution to this particular issue. Please give me a link if I have missed something.

I'm running PE 14 on my macbook air (128Gb SSD, 8 Gb RAM, 1,6 GHz i5). Recently it the program is not allowing any preview of any clips. When I double click on a project asset (gopro or Lumix movie regardless) the preview window will pop up. But when I try to enlarge the window (from stamp size to quarter screen) the entire program crashes and shut down.

The issue started when I had the media files on the SSD, which was pretty full. But since I've bought a external drive (rugged LaCie) and put the media files on that and the problem is the same.

Anyone experienced this issue? Is there a fix??

Thanks for any suggestions!

Axel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a memory issue. It's not that you Air doesn't have enough memory, but it appears as thought the RAM is jammed up with something. Try this:

1. Save everything

2. Re-start your Air

3. Open PRE 14 but only PRE 14

4. Use "Save As" and save it under a different file name.

5. Give it another try.

Be sure to move all previous videos to an external drive and delete any from your Air's HD. (I use a 3-Trig external and remove all videos from my MacBook & iMac.)

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might also consider that your Air isn't nearly powerful enough for video editing. Those laptops are built for portability, not power.

Your processor rates about a 2300 on benchmark tests. I always recommend using a processor that rates at least a 6500 or, better, 8000.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs

A 128 gig hard drive doesn't leave a lot of room for the program to deploy, let alone for it to open your video. How much free space is on that hard drive?

Particularly if the GoPro footage you"re editing is 4K, you are away underpowered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I'm very aware that I don't have a powerful computer. The thing is that I'm not editing 4K and it has worked fine for about 6 months, hence my frustration when this issue came along... You do have a point regarding HD space though. The problem came around when before my external disc, so I had about 10% free. But that is solved and now I have ~40Gb free.

I was thinking that it might be an PRE14 issue and it would work out if I got a CC solution. But I didn't wanted to pay for that IF it was my laptop that was the issue.

Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds likely. I did what you suggested and it seems to work. This has worked before (restarting that is). But it seems to come back after a couple of clips. Is there a setting to avoid the memory jamming like this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now it happened again! I had the activity tracker up and I had plenty of memory available but it still just dies when I try to enlarge the preview window...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines