• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 15: Landscape to Portrait (without black bars)?

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to this forum and I don't shoot (or edit) much video, so please excuse my ignorance. I mostly shoot stills and post-process with Lightroom.

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 15. I want to take a video recorded (on my Sony RX100M6 in portrait mode) to fit into a PORTRAIT shaped frame on a PowerPoint slide.  On the PowerPoint slide I have reserved a space for a portrait oriented video.  I need my video to fit into that space.

I already to know how to rotate the clip and how to scale it so I get rid of the black bars, but the final product is still in landscape orientation. I need the clip to fit into a portrait frame without the black bars.

When I go into project settings Edit>Project Settings>General>Video I see the landscape orientation of 1920 x 1080. I want the reverse (1080 x 1920) but the numbers on the screen can't be edited (even though they are not grayed out).

So ... what's the easiest way to produce a video clip that is in portrait mode (1080 x 1920) without the black bars?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Premiere Elements can't do that.  Premiere Pro allows for custom export sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements can't do that.  Premiere Pro allows for custom export sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi simoncwhat,

I understand your concern. The feature to change the resolution of the clip without getting the black pillar/letterboxing is not available in Premiere Elements. As @Peru Bob mentioned, you can use Adobe Premiere Pro for it.

Also, you can suggest for adding this feature in the future release by adding your voice here: Adobe Premiere Elements | Photoshop Family Customer Community

This page is accessible by our development team.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also this way to work around it. You still get a video that is wider than it is tall -- but the video fills the frame.

Using portrait 9:16 phone video in a landscape 16:9 Premiere Elements project - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,Mr.Grisetti

Is it ppossible to take a clip and make it really small and then have it "grow" really large over the time of the clip? Or the opposite-large to small. I have PRE 2020.Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all who replied to my request for help. In my particular case, the object that I was recording is tall and thin (a walkie-talkie radio) and portrait mode makes the best use of the limited space available when I insert it in a powerpoint slide that has text boxes on it.

I don't do much video editing so I'm not going to upgrade to Premiere Pro. I stay with Elements. It meets most of my needs. The "workaround" suggested doesn't work for my specific application because it still takes up the same space on the powerpoint slide as would a landscape oriented video. However, it's useful information for a future situation when I'm not constrained by the area available to me on a powerpoint slide.

Again, thanks to all ...

- Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Simon! I can visualize how you want your video to look, however, this is a limitation. If you share this idea on the link that I shared above i.e. Adobe Premiere Elements | Photoshop Family Customer Community , please share the URL with me so that I can bring it to the notice of the engineering team.

Give a shout if you need anything else. I'll be happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working workaround to achieve vertical video.

Use Premiere Elements to do the editing with 9:16 vertical video rotated left by 90 degrees (so in landscape). Output horizontal video, and later do the final processing by ffmpeg (which is free tool), using script that does the 90 degrees right rotation, like:

ffmpeg -i "$1" -vf transpose=1 -c:v libx264 -c:a aac -strict -2 -crf 20 "$2"

Substitute $1 with input video name and $2 with desired output video name. Voilla! No neet to purchase anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open a project, import a video with the desired aspect ratio, and Premiere Elements will lock in the aspect ratio.  Next, just add the video you actually want and delete the first video.  That's what I just did, but maybe I don't understand your question.  Let me know.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open a project, import a video with the desired aspect ratio, and Premiere Elements will lock in the aspect ratio.  Next, just add the video you actually want and delete the first video.  That's what I just did, but maybe I don't understand your question.  Let me know.  Thanks!

By @Michael23934923mjgy

This works in 2022 but not in Elements 15 (as in original question)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah.  Gotcha.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines