• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2018 causes black screen

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been using Premiere Elements 2018 since release and have discovered a recurring problem. All the video editing, etc is fine, but whenever I close the app after I'm done my whole screen goes black for 2 seconds and then reappears as normal. However, I cannot reopen premiere after this occurs without doing a restart because it says something like "kernel not found" and crashes my PC.

My computer continues to function after this happens, however on next startup I am greeted with an ALL BLACK screen after the startup logo of my computer. I have then to restart my PC and it boots up as normal, albeit taking way longer.

This is a huge annoyance and as I use Premiere a lot gets really tiring. Any ways to fix this?????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

What processor do you have with how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Have you gone to the Intel, nVidia or AMD site and manually downloaded all of the latest drivers for your graphics card rather than trusting Windows to do it?

This really sounds like some sort of outdated firmware or drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Steve (@Steve Grisetti): I am on Windows 10 Pro. I have an Intel core i7 processor. I have 32GB of ram. I have over 120GB free on my hard drive (C:) and over 790 on my other drive (D:).

I HAVE manually downloaded the latest drivers from those websites and used windows "search for driver" option.

Shivangi (@shivangi gupta): I do use Photoshop Elements 2018 and have 0 problems there. I have no pending updates and in fact installed one recently and still have the issue.

Thank you all so much! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program? (You won't lose any work.)

Beyond that, I'm going to let Shivangi continue this discussion since he is part of the Adobe staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not. I was not aware I would not lose any progress. I trust you and thank you for your answer, but are you 100% sure I wont lose data or my proof or purchase?

If you are sure then I will definitely try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information. You won't lose any data on reinstalling the application. You should definitely try this(keeping a back up of all the projects and media files). I am consulting the engineering team if they have any suggestion towards a fix for this issue. I'll follow up shortly.

Also, do you get any message or report when the application crashes? If yes, could you share the crash log with us? It will help us investigate the issue better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks much! I won't uninstall until you get back to me from the engineering team. Thank you for your quick response!!

After the black screen, when I try to reopen Premiere Elements it gives me a kernel exception. 66758d1485963788t-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-unable-recover-kernel-exception-ss-2016-02-28-04.35.00-.png

looks like this ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience. I got a response from the engineering team. With the details provided, it appears to be an issue with the graphics card. I have a few reference discussions from Premiere Pro community here: NVIDIA OpenGL Driver: Unable to recover from a kernel exception

I would recommend to either update or rollback the graphics card driver and then test the issue.

Let me know how that goes. I know I took time but I assure you that I am here to get it working for you.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already installed the recent graphic drivers, but I will definitely try again. It seems that the person on the forum had the same issue, could you please explain what he did to fix it? I will try that first and then reupdate my drivers.

I will be very busy and without my PC for a week and thus will be unable to respond until then but will respond ASAP as soon as I get back. Thank you for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate you tried updating the drivers. Have you tested the issue after rolling back to the previous version drivers?

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not, however I have used one old driver with the same issue.

Is there a particular driver you would recommend to roll back/update to?

Also, has anyone else had this issue and posted on forums? Thanks a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I researched this issue and looked for answers everywhere. There is no common pattern seen for other users. The same error occurred on Premiere Pro. There is no specific version of graphics card drivers mentioned that you can install. I'd like to check all the versions available for the graphics card that you have. Which graphics card is installed on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an NVIDIA Quadro M5500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. I had a discussion with my team about this issue and a question came out which has two alternative answers which have worked for scenarios like this. I am hopeful that this will help us to find the reason causing this issue.

Let me know about the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I find graphics cards under Device Manager? Thank you!

If i dont have more than one ill see what i can do with the admin stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I find graphics cards under Device Manager?

Please follow this path:

Device Manager > Display adapters > Select your GPU > Right click on it > Disable > Yes

Note: Do not disable the display adapters if there is only one GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I've been very busy over the past almost two weeks. I went under device manager but there was only one GPU. Should I uninstall and then reinstall Premiere Elements or create a new admin account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 7 days without an answer, has this thread been shut down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response. You can definitely try re-installing the application and create a new user account as suggested above.

Let me know how that goes.

I'll stand by!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thank you! I will be away (yet again) for two days but will try when i get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I had some unexpected interruptions lately (since i posted this.) Once i uninstall, how exactly do i reinstall it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You reinstall it the same way you originally installed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright i found the reinstall link, im just double checking with Peru Bob​ that i will not lose my data.

I will uninstall & reinstall as long as you all confirm im not losing data. This is one of my income sources so i really would prefer not to lose anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EC2006  wrote

I will uninstall & reinstall as long as you all confirm im not losing data.

You should always have a redundant backup strategy so that you never lose data.

See Schofield's second law:

Follow Schofield's Three Laws of Computing and avoid disasters | ZDNet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright I'm gonna try the uninstall/reinstall. Sorry that I have not been here, there's been extremely busy weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines