• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2019 adding video problem

New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to bring commerically produced mp4 videos into the video editor.  Based on the mediainfo analysis, I think the FPS is around 60.   But once in the editor,  the properties of the incoming file appear as 15 FPS.   The speed and sound are all messed up on playback and further editing.

Is there something I can do inside Premiere Elements?  

Thank you

===========

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
File size : 1.42 GiB
Duration : 2 h 4 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 625 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.12.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High
Format level : 4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Bit rate : 1 500 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 59.940 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 59.880 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 30 000.000 FPS
Original frame rate : 29.970 FPS
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.072
Stream size : 1.31 GiB (92%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.601
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 111 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 99.0 MiB (7%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few odd specs in the file. It's an old-style standard definition file that fits the old 4:3 rather than 16:9 aspect ratio. Was this ripped from an old video or DVD? Where did this file originate and did you or someone else convert it to an MP4?

That said, it would be fairly easy to convert the video into an editable file with a program like the excellent, free Handbrake.

You can find the basics of properly converting video in my free tutorial.

Just create the standard definition 720x480 file from it, as I show you in the first half of the tutorial, rather than the high-def.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply.   The original old analog videos were digitized by Southtree in Chattanooga.  My source files (all home movies) were super 8 mm movies,  VHS ,  video 8 / Hi-8, and mini DV.   Then I went digital.

I have followed your Handbrake instructions,  and it works.   Another question:  almost all my mini DV tapes were recorded in widescreen (16:9),  but they were digitized in 4:3 display aspect ratio.   Can I use Handbrake to expand them back out to widescreen?     All my other tapes that were originally recorded in 4:3 were digitized in 4:3, so I think they are OK.

Also,  I got two output formats:  mp4 and DVD's.    Is there an advantage to bringing DVD/VOB images (instead of the mp4 files created by Handbrake) into Premiere Elements?   Quality?  File size? Other?

Once I get the input digital file specs right,  my plan using Premiere Elements is to create date/content segments (5 - 10 from each one or two hour source digitized video files) that can be used inside Premiere Elements and the Organizer for future tagging, editing, and projects.

I just got your Premiere and Photoshop books from Amazon,  and am ready to dig in.

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a lot of questions for one post, FH. But here are the brief answers. But of course there's lots more to the story in each case, and they may be too complicated to tackle quickly on a forum post.

1) Handbrake isn't the best tool for turning 4:3 into 16:9. You're better off starting a 16:9 project in Premiere Elements and enlarging your 4:3 videos until they fill the frame. 

2) It's hard to answer your question re DVDs vs. VOBs. A lot depends on a lot. If you have a VOB, use it as your source. If you have an MP4, use it as your source.

Thanks for supporting my books! Hope they help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines