• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2019, h.265, windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a review on one site, does this mean that the only support for h.265 is on Mac, not on my dear Windows?

Both Premiere Elements 2019 and Premiere Elements 2019 add support for importing and editing of HEIF images taken with your iPhone (the .HEIC extension) and HEVC-encoded video (the H.265 codec) with macOS 10.13 and above.

Regards,

Kent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Adobe's feature page, Premiere Elements 2019 does offer HEIC and HEVC support on Mac OS 10.13.

Features & Enhancements | Adobe Premiere Elements 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but not for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not unusual for me to be confused!  But, I think there may be confusion between "H.265" and Apple's "HEVC". 

"..... now Premiere Elements supports variable frame rate (VFR) plus import and editing of HEIF images on macOS and HEVC video on macOS 10.13 and above."

I think that is supposed to mean that if you have Apple phones and Apple computers, you can edit the video.  I don't think it means that you can edit "generic" H.265 from the few consumer level cameras that use it.  There are a couple discontinued Samsung cameras, the Panasonic GH5, a GoPro model and some DJI drones that can use H.265. 

I'm guessing that even Apple computer owners with Premiere Elements 2019 will not be using H.265 footage from non Apple cameras like I listed.  But, again, I might be confused by that.   And, I'll never know unless I buy a new Apple phone and computer (which isn't likely and time soon.)

Could it be that "HEVC" is just Apple branding for generic "H.265"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the posts.

I have received a private message from someone who says h.265 is not supported on either Mac or Windows. But that's probably wrong. Adobe says there is support on the Mac.

I live in the belief that h.265 is the sequel to h.264. My camera in the car (Blackvue) uses this and it's a much more efficient format.

I started this as a question and have somehow received why I mark the question as answered.

I find it strange that Adobe does not support h.265 on all platforms.

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason that H.265 is not supported is that it has not become universal and remains entangled in licensing disagreements.  It has been entangled so long that competitors are making headway with alternatives. 

Further, it is my humble opinion, that Premiere Elements is aimed at and priced for people who make "home movies" with common consumer cameras.  And for that, it seems successful.   For people that have professional cameras where H.265 might be more common, Adobe offers Premiere Pro. 

(An anomaly in "consumer cameras" is the latest iPhone because it can use H.265.  I'll assume it has setting for H.264 as well. )

Marketing and pricing can be weird.  The aggressive and active consumer might upgrade their Premiere Elements annually at $100 per year.  Premiere Pro comes at a $20 a month price.  If you are old enough to remember what film and developing cost, $20 a month or $240 a year is truly a bargain.   Other "pro" level NLEs (with all their codecs) can be more expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill. I thought I was only one confused by Adobe's claim to support HEVC video -- though apparently not H.265.

Thank you for clearing it up. A bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had a new Mac computer, a Windows PC, a new iPhone and a new Panasonic GH5 I could figure it out and make it very clear. 

Back when the Samsung NX1 was getting great reviews, Samsung included an NLE that would handle the H.265 the camera produced.  That same NLE is in the $100 market and you have classes on it.  You, maybe more than most, would know how often it is used for H.265 editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What am I missing? Is h.265 something that's odd? Consumer products have this format that is very effective. GoPro actioncamera and Blackvue daschcams use and recommend the format. Both for less than $ 400. These are consumer products.

I think Premiere Elements should support this format on Mac and Windows. Referring to Pro, if that's what you do, gives so much finesse that my skills are not enough. I want a simple and smart software that supports the consumer products sold today. And apparently it's on Mac.

With kind regards

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really sucks.

It isn't clear, at least not to me, in Adobe marketing.

I have an Apple iPhone 10max. Great camera, beautiful 4k stabilized video. Adobe Elements 2019 rejects it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should definitely make Adobe aware of your feelings. (This is a user to user forum.) I'm sure many share your concern that this format is not yet supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  Exactly.  I am saying that H.265 is odd because it is still uncommon.  If you browse through the camera's listed for sale at places like B&H or Adorama, you have to look hard for cameras you hold to your eye for shooting video that use H.265.  The exceptions are action cameras, dashcams, drones and security cameras.

Why it is uncommon is also odd.  Everything I read says H.265 is a wonderful thing technically.  Yet as wonderful as it is, it has been terribly slow to make its way into mainstream Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, etc. cameras.   The articles that talk about how wonderful H.265 is technically, also explain how oddly screwed up the licensing might be.

If you need H.265 editing capacity, Premiere Elements is not for you.  It will be until fall of next year to see if version 2020 includes H.265.  My bet is that it won't unless a sudden avalanche of mainstream cameras use it.

There are two NLEs that can edit H.265 footage.  One, as mentioned is Premiere Pro CC.  If that is not satisfactory, Cyberlink PowerDirector advertises that capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll stay here in the discussion.

When iPhone 6 or greater, Gopro and Blackvue are counted as odd products, I feel we do not have the same opinion.

I'm thinking like this. If Adobe has the technology, they should use it in Elements. If that technique is odd, it should not be used. Using this as a tool to get me Pro-version is not an easy way. And if h.265 is odd, there are few who walk that way.

Thanks for your interest. Will not write more in this thread and have marked it as answered.

With greeting
Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I’ve been conned. The only reason I bought Elements 2019 was because I thought it supported iPhone video (Codec: MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hvc1))

I’ve since discovered that it does, on Mac’s, but not on a Windows 10 machine.

Combine that with the fact that Organizer has been running for 3 days, is only 60% through recognising faces on 15,000 photos, and has a memory leak that causes my machine to blue screen (3 times in 3 days) and runs like a dog. I7 CPU 16GB RAM on a SSD.

What can I do? Wait indefinitely for a patch or use a different product I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mickb60946825  wrote

..... What can I do? Wait indefinitely for a patch or use a different product I suppose.

If you bought directly from Adobe, you should be able to get your money back.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having same issues and believed when I upgraded from 2018 to 2019 problem was resolved more wasted money and no help from Adobe on fixing the issue. Just proves there support is not very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm sorry you are disappointed. If you bought directly from Adobe, there is a short refund period. You should get your money back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this!!!

My drone uses HEVC, my gopro 7 uses HEVC. I bought  premiere elementals to cut my videos but then i realized that HEVC is not supported.

All my footage is HEVC.

It's a shame that this much used codec is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dominiks19269012  wrote

All my footage is HEVC.

If you've not already read it, the (free) program Handbrake can convert your HEVC footage (in batches) to editable H.264 without quality loss.  You're GoPro can also shoot in H.264.

Not that it matters, but to Steve's point, it is not Adobe that left it out.  Apple pays to provide it in their operating system and Adobe can use it.  Windows does not pay to provide it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did this already, but the whole process took me almost 24h with a 100%

cpu usage, so no solution for a longer period

Am Di., 26. Feb. 2019 um 20:43 Uhr schrieb whsprague <

forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

You have been mentioned

by whsprague

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/whsprague?et=notification.mention> *in

Re: Premiere Elements 2019, h.265, windows 10 in Adobe Community* - View

whsprague's reference to you

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10951028?et=notification.mention#10951028>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gopro 7 black has two options: "HEVC" and "x264  with HEVC" 4k @60fps is always HEVC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need 60p, and are on Windows, you may want to look at Cyberlink PowerDirector as a video editor.  Magix has several products that used to be sold by Sony.  I think do H.265 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Is there a get your money back solution? Bought key from Amazon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dominiks19269012  wrote

Thank you. Is there a get your money back solution? Bought key from Amazon.

Yes, if you bought from Adobe direct.  Not sure about Amazon.  I've returned things for "not being as I expected" but never software. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dominiks19269012  wrote

Is there a get your money back solution? Bought key from Amazon.

You will have to contact Amazon:

Return or exchange a non-subscription product

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines