I just upgraded from APE 15 to APE 17 to take advantage of the marketed "performance enhancements" only to find that its even slower than the previous version.
I'm running on a high spec Dell laptop
- Intel core I7-6700 HQ cpu at 2.6 GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- 1024 GB Toshiba NVMe SSD with 40% free space
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
- Win 10 home 64 bit
I'm a professional photographer and just do video on the side. I've shot a full cabaret show from a single wide shot on a tripod and now want to break the show up into individual acts, add a title to each and output to share with the performers. Under APE 15, I could easily scroll through the entire show (about 1 hour 45 min), with the playback video keeping up, find the cut points I want between acts, and tediously export. It took about 6 hours to export the entire show, with the system not seeming to use more than 30% CPU, 40% memory and 17% disk - so its hardly resource pegged. I was just outputting the original video after cutting out some pre-show an post show dead air - hardly taxing! I decided to update to APE 17 to get the promised performance updates, and now I can't even get the software to scrub through the video to find the cut points. The audio scrubs ok but the video lags by several minutes and is jerky as all. I've tried using "render" and I've tried setting playback quality to different settings other than manual. Nothing seems to help.
The Adobe Premiere Elements Performance "help" is dated 2016 and doesn't seem helpful in Win 10.