• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2020: All ways to remove effects are disabled

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Premiere Elements 2020 on Windows 10.

This is a bit strange.  I'm putting together a simple video -- a title, a video clip, another title, another clip, and so on.  I'm using the default fade in/fade out on all the titles and clips.  It's generally working great.  However, once in a while I notice the fade cuts off part of the video/audio I'd like to keep.  If I catch it early, I can just undo.  But, if I notice it later and try to remove the effect, all the menu or commands to do this are disabled.

If I right-click on a clip and then try to select Clip | Remove Effects, the "Remove Effects" menu item is disabled.  If I select a clip and then click on the tool bar to Edit Fx, I can see the Opacity effect.  But I can't delete it because the Trash Can icon is disabled.  My current workaround is to just delete the clip, re-add it, and start over.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I've done 5 of these videos in 5 different projects and I'm running into the same roadblock in all of them.  I don't do a lot of editing (maybe a few times a year), so I've probably forgotten something important.  If you need more info, please let me know.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Fades and transitions are not effects, so you can't remove them by disabling the clip's effects.

If it's a true Fade In or Fade Out, it was created by keyframing the clip's Opacity. You can remove these keyframes by selecting the clip on your timeline and opening its Applied Effects panel by clicking the button on the toolbar on the right. Open up the Opacity property and click the stopwatch to turn off animation. This will remove all of the clip's Opacity keyframes and remove any fades in or fa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fades and transitions are not effects, so you can't remove them by disabling the clip's effects.

If it's a true Fade In or Fade Out, it was created by keyframing the clip's Opacity. You can remove these keyframes by selecting the clip on your timeline and opening its Applied Effects panel by clicking the button on the toolbar on the right. Open up the Opacity property and click the stopwatch to turn off animation. This will remove all of the clip's Opacity keyframes and remove any fades in or fades out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I created a temp project to try this and it's not exactly what I was looking for.  It only affects the video (opacity) and not the audio (volume).  I discovered how to reset the audio fade by going to Fix | Adjustments | Volume and clicking Reset.

I was hoping for a one-step process to reset both the video and audio, but I guess this will do.

Again, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click on the fade keyframes and select delete. (i.e. the keyframes at the begining and end of the fade).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines