Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2020 has problems playing 4K H265

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I recently tried to edit some 4K H265 footage with Adobe Premiere Elements. Since my old 2019 version doesn't support this codec I updated to the 2020 version. However, when I try to work with the footage it is hardly able to play the clips, let alone editing them. When I play these videoclips on my computer with the default Windows player or VLC there is no issue.

I updated all my drivers but to no avail. It would still lag badly. So, I installed Premiere Elements 2020 on my wife's computer with poorer specc's. This works fine and the footage is played without any bother. My CPU reading is normal and so is my GPU. It does not seem to be stressed in any way. I thought about GPU acceleration but this isn't available in Elements sadly.

Does anyone here have an idea why it might be that my computer has so much trouble playing these video clips in Premiere, whereas my wife's computer doesn't. Hardware should be sufficient, the video files are stored on a local SSD and older H264 codec plus full HD 1080 footage it plays without any bother.

Specifications of my computer:
Windows 10 64 bit version 1903

Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz 3.41 Ghz

32 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

SSD 256GB

Thanks everyone!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that you need this operating system plugin.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/hevc-decoding-on-windows.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your quick reply and help! I installed the plugins and cleared the media cache. It now plays the footage shot by a Panasonic camera smoothly (H264 MOV). Footage done with the DJI Phantom drone (H264 MOV) is slightly lagging and the H265 MP4 footage shot by a GoPro camera still won't play decently. The sound it plays but the image doesn't. While playing in Premiere Elements my CPU is under 70-80% load and GPU max 25%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Purchased PE2020 to be able to play H265 clips , as my older PE version 14 couldnt.

It says it is supported in the software specs, but only if you install the Microsoft download codecs , ($1.45 where i live in Australia.)

So i did, but it still wont play H265, though no problem with H264, as always.

Error message tells me the codecs arent installed, even though they are listed in my settings/programs  list.

Is this an Adobe issue?

I doubt my I7 processor is 7th gen or newer, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8256, so a few years old, but even so, it wont even let me load the files until it is satisfied the codecs are installed, which they are, but it says no.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I feel a bit deceived by Adobe....sat on their chat box for ages until the person on the other end told me they were still training and asked me to describe my problem in another way! Couldnt believe it.

Anyway thanks in advance. I've uninstalled all other codec packages, the old version of Premier Elements 14, and a few nondescript nasty video players, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling MS's Hevc offerings....nothing gets it to accept my HEVC clips, which i have successfully transcoded to H264 using YouCut, but i dont want to waste days doing that for all my clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to edit your gopro clips I would set the gopro to H.264.

Basicly there is not difference in image quality just the filesize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ann,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't knew there was an option to do so. This video material wasn't filmed by myself. Something to keep in mind for the future!

I would still like to know how it is possible that my PC refuses to properly play the footage whereas my wife's computer does so effortlessly with lesser specs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would still like to know how it is possible that my PC refuses to properly play the footage whereas my wife's computer does so effortlessly with lesser specs!"

I might look at differences in the Hardware Acceleration setting, driver settings, GPU choices and settings and available RAM.   (There have been posts here where RAM is occupied by background programs like for anti virus.)

You might consider trying the chat support again.  Adobe staff can range from busy to not so busy on that system.  A couple days ago there was a batch of CC program updates that may have overwhelmed the system for awhile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The RAM doesn't appear to be occupied and I have closed down all programs. I'll look into the Hardware Acceleration if I can find it... I didn't know there was a chat available actually! Might be handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing works for me so i will simply switch back to H264, and manually convert the clips i cant play back to that ( did someone say use HandBrake?)

And i will keep an eye on this forum to see if someone cracks a solution. Or i may buy a new laptop as mine is 4 years old, and see if that works.

Thhanks all for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'll look into the Hardware Acceleration if I can find it.."  Preferences > General > Hardware Acceleration.

In the Help menu is a link for "Online Support".  It takes you into the online chat system for all of Adobe products.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you the hardware acceleration was already turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn it off and see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it again with the acceleration switched off but it makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I did not recognize any solution. Is Adobe able to play H.265? Is there an update that I can use it?
Every Freeware seems to handle it fine. GoPro10 is using this codec as default and with the cameras around Handbrake seems a pour solution.
I use clips from a lot of friends so changing every camera setting is no possible solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe able to play H.265? Is there an update that I can use it?

By @Gerald

My Windows computer with Premier Elements 2022 will edit H.265 video.  I have paid for and installed the $.99 codec from the Microsoft Windows store.   Premiere Elements does not need an update, but the codec from Microsoft is necessary.  

I can't vouch for all of the GoPro 10 footage varieties.  I don't have one.  The ultra high frame rate choices from may be an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,
thanks for the 2022 teaser. I tried softwareupdat with my graphics. But no success on the GoPro 10 videos.
Pictures are clear in pause, but in movement I got only blurs. 
The codec helped me to work on videos with my personal GoPro 9. (Already in August) 
Anything I can do to upgrade my 2020 version 18?
And: With successfull 2022 test - were you using Win10 or Win11?
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines