• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2020 video editor not loading

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I installed PE 2020 yesterday and spent a few hours on it today editing a video. After my latest render and save, i closed the app and now it won't open. When I click on the desktop app the little home page appears asking "what do you want to do today" and three boxes - workshop organizer, photo editor and video editor. There is also a list of my recent files. But when i put the cursor over the video editor box, the box gets outlined in blue but nothing happens when i click it (single or double). it's just not opening up or loading or doing anything. Please don't tell me I have to reinstall! Does that mean I've lost the hours of work I spent today? 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

I had the same issue but I could actually solve it, with your description. I closed the app first, then opened the task manager (you can easily find it when searching for it after you pressed the "start" on your desktop). In the task manager look for "adobe premiere elements 2020" and stop the task. (not sure if thats the exact wording since my language setting is not english but it should be gone from the task manager afterwards) Now try to open the program again. For me this worked so I hope i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is for a university assignment that is due tomorrow, so I need this to work!!! Plus, I spent lots of money on this product. And of course, the Adobe chat help line is not responding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday it was a partial holiday in the USA.  I would try an online (not by telephone) chat with customer support or a reinstallation.   Your project files will not be effected by reinstalling the software.   https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks whsprague. I didn't realise it was a holiday but i can't call anyway from Australia. 

The chat service did get back to me and i'm happy to report it was all fixed by remote computer access. 

Thanks for your messages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ea3,

I'm happy you got it fixed via chat.  I've never tried the service!  Someday maybe something will break bad enough and I'll get to use it!   

What did they "fix"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following up on this! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You expect me to understand what they fixed?? But I did ask should it happen again, what would I do, and the response was something about going into the Task Bar and deleting the adobe programs that were running. It sounded simple but it is still nothing that I would have worked out on my own. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...the response was something about going into the Task Bar and deleting the adobe programs that were running."

Fascinating!  Thanks for the reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's happened again 😞 

Not opening. 

The first "what do you want to do today?" page is showing, but the video editor button is not doing anything. 

I'll update you when I actually know what to do. 

As far as I can see, I've closed everything, so my poor computer should not be too overwhelmed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but I could actually solve it, with your description. I closed the app first, then opened the task manager (you can easily find it when searching for it after you pressed the "start" on your desktop). In the task manager look for "adobe premiere elements 2020" and stop the task. (not sure if thats the exact wording since my language setting is not english but it should be gone from the task manager afterwards) Now try to open the program again. For me this worked so I hope it helps someone 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers MTP65510.  This worked for me. Thanks for describing your fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you! I had the same EXACT issue as the others in this thread. I am able to get into the video editor once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked for me several times now! Thankyou! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me too. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating that we have to go in to the taskbar and search for it to close it, it should close on its own when pressing the x 😞 I hope there will be a fix. Thank you for posting this, I was able to finally open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks immensely for this workaround.  Have to use it almost every time I exit PE 2020.  PE Version 18.0 (20200130.daily.2070236) on Windows 10 Pro (1909).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has started happening to me with regularity. The fix is to open task manager, and then under "Background Processes" click on "Adobe Premier Elements" and then "End Process." 

Bit frustrating that an Adobe product requires fiddling around in task manager just to open, but at least it's a quick and easy workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me and I agree, there should be a permanant fix! I was so frustrated, had uninstalled/reinstalled and wasted time trying to figure it out, GRRR. FYI, when I opened Task Manager, I had to select Advanced Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is still happening.  The Task Manager is the solution, but seems like they would give us an upgraded program that fixes this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also happening to me as a new user of the trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 2020.  I right click on the taskbar and end task in the background processes with Adobe Premiere Elements 2020.  This should not be necessary.  I am also having difficulty replaying videos after loading them into Adobe Premiere Elements 2020.  The audio plays but not the video even though it can be seen in the Video 1 and Audio 1's Timeline.  I open Adobe Premiere Elements 2020, click on video editor, click on add media, choose the video, it puts it in on the top left in the projects assets bin.  If I dbl left click it here it plays video and audio in a little window in the centre of the screen but if I drag the video from the top left to the timeline then press play it plays audio but not video.  Same thing happens if I left click the video in the timeline.  Once the video is in the timeline it won't replay from the icon in the top left.  I have tried loading mp4, avi and mov but get the same result.  What am I doing wrongly?  And how on earth do you stop a video in the timeline? I have searched the internet and the manual for answers but no luck.  So glad I just got the trial version, this software is not intuitive and incredibly non-user friendly.  It was described to me as needing a very steep learning curve - it certainly does and as a result I will look elsewhere for video editing software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I purchased Premier Elements 2020 today, spent a couple of hours editing a video, saved it and then came out of the application. When I tried to reopen the application later, I couldn't get in. Having found this discussion on the Community site, I tried the Task Manager fix which does seem to work; so thank you for that! However, I agree that it shouldn't be happening and that hopefully Adobe will come up with a proper fix very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same problem after installing Elements yesterday.  Unfortunately, the task manager trick is not working in my scenario because that entry is not in the task manager.  Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about on a MAC BOOK there is no task manager on mac book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines